Is Is Possible To Do This?

Decorating By suesweet Updated 21 Oct 2007 , 8:20pm by suesweet

suesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suesweet Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:50am
post #1 of 18

A customer placed an order for an anniversary cake. She wants the husband's and wife's initials (J&K) to stand up and lean diagonally into each other. She wants them to be about 8" in length. I've attached a model I created. So....what do you think? Can it be done? And, how much should I charge?

Please Help!!!
LL

17 replies
WarEagle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WarEagle Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 10:43am
post #2 of 18

That's an unusual concept...seems as if the cake would have to be extra firm to stand up like that...maybe someone with more experience with 3-D cakes could help you with the support system. I'm interested in seeing the finished product...sorry I couldn't help you, though. Good luck!

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 11:06am
post #3 of 18

This sounds like it needs Doug's expertise. ..... Doug, where are you?

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 11:35am
post #4 of 18

What about some kind of clear flat plastic for the cakes to lay on as you work on them and then lean them up against an "A" frame of some sort (metal? maybe) and secure. Something along the lines of what Mike (of Mike's Amazing Cakes) did for the Cartoon Character's Cake Challenge. He had the characters in a carsophogas (sp?) that was just on a flat board that he stood up at an angle and supported from the back side. I bet it's on his website if you thought that idea could work.

This is really a tough one!!!

-Michelle

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 18

Wow, that's some ordericon_sad.gif
Definately needs firm pound cake or fruit cake.
Even w/pound cake I'm not so sure it will work. It might be o.k. in your shop but transporting it will be a killer.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 18

Could you not make a pyramid cake or support in btw the letters? Do the letters have to be cake? Just grasping at straws here.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 18

I was thinking about the cake Mike did too. I think he covered it in chocolate for added stability. I think thransport would be a pain in the ...
well, you know.

suesweet Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 18

Yes, she wants the letters to be cake. And, I too suggested a pyramid, but she doesn't want that. I told her I don't think a cake would hold up in this position, but she is insistent that I try. Any more ideas? Please....

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 11:37pm
post #9 of 18

I would make the letters out of gumpaste light but very sturdy. I'd color the dough instead of painting them they will be light enoughto stand in a puddle of RI

JayKe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayKe Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:25am
post #10 of 18

I'm no Doug, but I'll throw my ideas on the table. You could do this in two different ways one with foam core, one with wood. If using foam core, I would cut out the letters out of a sheet/square cake with foam core placed on the bottom (flat/backside side of letter) and also attach foam core at an angle on the bottom edge of the letters (it would be an L shape of the foam core looked on from the side). For wood, youd need to cut out the letters out of wood, nail a piece of wood to the bottom edge of the letters and then cut out the cake to match the cut wood. The foam core/wood on both bottoms would keep the cake stable enough to stand up but also keep it from slipping down. Then cover the cake on all sides which would be a bit challenging with fondant, if you chose to go that route. I would transport the letters separately then put them together on site. If using foam core, put a dowel or two between the two letters at the top and dowels up from the bottom through a base and into the letters through the foam core. For wood, I would have precut holes to put the dowels through. This is pretty technical, but hopefully makes sense.

This really should have been put in the Cake Ideas section as it is more appropriate and would catch the eyes of the more creative cake builders, but we're all trying to help.

As for price, I would charge through the nose as it's obviously stumping most of us on here (and that means a lot... kudos to your client for her creative thinking and to you for your great graphic representation of her ideas). I would love to see the final product.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:43am
post #11 of 18

DUH i thought she wanted a cake with letters on top not the cake to be letters LOL

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 4:52am
post #12 of 18

I'm not sure it's possible either. Combine what I've learned over the years, and watching Duff make outrageous cakes, I'd say her only option would be Rice Krispies. Inserting dowels inside those and standing straight would be one thing, but put an angle on those and the weight of the cake (those are LARGE letters) is going to tear them. The only suggestion I have is if you would back them with something, and JayKe pretty much covered what I was thinking.

Whatever you decide, that's going to be a bugger to cover in fondant, unless you pour and then I'm not sure the result would be what you're after. There are just times you have to say no!

icon_cool.gif

astridwinther Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
astridwinther Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 8:27am
post #13 of 18

it can be done if you put sp around ½cm and let it dray a littel

but way not try ... make a .. try letter

suesweet Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 12:46pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. JayKe, your idea sounds like it might work and I didn't even think to post in cake ideas section. I am going to post there now and see if there are any other ideas. If not, I will attempt to construct this using your wonderful advice. Wish me luck!!!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:26am
post #15 of 18

ands his vote to JayKe's great advice.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:39am
post #16 of 18

I really think if you make this letters in Madeira cake, no filling, just baking two square 8'', cakes cutting out the letters, cover them in fondant, live one night, and the next day you lean one on the other and secure to the base with royal icing. It sounds too simple, but I think it all depends on a firm cake, madeira cake is firm enough, It's worth trying.

one more thing, each letter should be laying in it's carboard cutout same as the cake then coverd from behind.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:41am
post #17 of 18

what about thick dowels through the cake and attached to the board somehow? i dunno...that's the best i can think up other then what everyone suggested.

suesweet Posted 21 Oct 2007 , 8:20pm
post #18 of 18

Forgot to post pics. Here's the finished result. Not my best cake, but it's what the customer asked for. Thanks to all for your suggestions.
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%