Okay Everybody, Answer This Question!

Decorating By patton78 Updated 20 May 2018 , 9:24pm by CalaMom

ShyannAutumn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShyannAutumn Posted 29 May 2007 , 7:45pm
post #421 of 511

Making wonderufl tasting fondant, NFSC, and Penny's. I was ready to give up making cookies all together. I couldn't stand the Wilton's (anything) any longer. I've learned about Americolor. Now Wiltons food coloring could be used in paint balls for all I care anymore.

I am still learning new trips.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 29 May 2007 , 7:47pm
post #422 of 511

I learned of the Melvira Method. I LOVE this method to smoothing and won't use any other!

I also learned of Americolor. I bought some used it and loved it but am finishing out my wilton colors first lol. Too much money invested to junk them lol.

I learned how to make stacked cakes! YAY!!! and I've learned how to make a naughty cake icon_biggrin.gif

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 29 May 2007 , 7:50pm
post #423 of 511

I've learned lots, mostly the ones already mentioned, and eagerly waiting to learn more. icon_wink.gif

missym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missym Posted 29 May 2007 , 7:57pm
post #424 of 511

What a great thread! I've learned more just reading this thread!!! By far the best thing that has helped me is the viva method.

JoMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoMarie Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:02pm
post #425 of 511

Cupcake Bouquets - icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

pinklady1356 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklady1356 Posted 29 May 2007 , 8:06pm
post #426 of 511

it would have to be viva towel.

How do u make cake balls I mean with icy or what is that you put on it?

Thanks.
icon_smile.gif

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:31pm
post #427 of 511

I've learnt just recently that if I use a chcolate fondant or a cocoa icing that I only have to add a little bit of black colour and I get a great black fondant or icing.
I also love and learnt Cupcake Bouquets
icon_smile.gif

gismo12002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gismo12002 Posted 29 May 2007 , 9:37pm
post #428 of 511

Best--DON'T use core in 3 D cakes--nail trick--red coloring--too many to say! So much help on CC!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:33pm
post #429 of 511

I'm curious, is this one of the longest running threads in CC history? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif

sharon57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharon57 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 3:56pm
post #430 of 511

Gosh, there are so many, I think the number 1 is the fbct. The viva paper towel is a must have and I have just started putting the vanilla caramel coffee creamer into my bc, everybody loves it. Don't know what I would do without you guys! icon_biggrin.gif

Limpy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Limpy Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 4:05pm
post #431 of 511

So many things I have learned from this site, where do I begin, but as you are just asking for one, I have to say that the best thing that I have learned is the icing the cake upside down trick. My cakes are now always smooth I always get the comment when icing with buttercream "how on earth do you get your cakes so smooth?" Love it,love it,love it.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 4:43pm
post #432 of 511

I think I replied to this a while back but I've learned quite a bit since then!

I don't think I could pick just one thing... Love it that I learned a better way to buy a package bow. LOVE Toba Garrett's fondant recipe, LOVE my new white cake recipe, learned to do fondant swags, still like to have the upside-down method of icing. I don't use that as much as I used to but for wedding cakes, it's a must... and cannot forget the most invaluable thing: all the decorating ideas from other CCers! It's important to keep up with trends and being on CC helps that tremendously. I can see what people make the most (plain with ribbon on the bottom of each tier? icon_wink.gif ) and what cakes get the most positive responses, etc.

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 5:12pm
post #433 of 511

I'll have to say - how to make a bow topper. My first one failed miserably. Now, I'm making them great.

nechee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nechee Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 5:42pm
post #434 of 511

I have to say the melvira method and the chocolate cigarellos. Also the flattening of cakes instead of leveling. Alo towels for baking strips instead of using Wiltons

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 5:54pm
post #435 of 511

so many great ideas . .. .thanks everyone

One of mine would have to be the support here and knowing other people are just as hard on themselves about their cake decorating skills not being perfect.

lynseyg2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynseyg2002 Posted 3 Sep 2007 , 7:48pm
post #436 of 511

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I can't decide, can I get back to you on this one..... My brain hurts cos I'm thinking too hard icon_lol.gif

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:25am
post #437 of 511

I have just read all 30 previous pages of posts . . . and my brain hurts!!! (I mean that in a good way dunce.gif )

This thread has been most informative!!! (thanx patton78 for your curiosity almost a year ago! thumbs_up.gif)

As a newbie . . . I wonder if there is a glossary of definitions of acronyms/abbreviations detective.gif (ideally with links to the recipe or whatever) . . . it sure would be helpful . . . but don't know if one exists, but I just haven't been able to navigate my way around this FABULOUS site!!!

I'm not even sure how I stumbled on to this site in the first place . . . could be I am number "5" that has "Ace of Cakes" to thank for hooking me up with what will be my lifeline to knowledge and inspiration and kindred spirits!! (thanx Duff - I think icon_wink.gif)

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:42am
post #438 of 511

yes there is a thread on acronyms in here need to ask someone I dont know where What I've learned is too much to recount but I really liked waxing the back of ribbons to make them grease proof.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:48am
post #439 of 511

Wow, what a thread. I just read it all and have pages of notes. icon_smile.gif I still have a question about weighting or smashing icon_biggrin.gif your cakes after they are baked. Don't you wind up with a really dense cake if you smash the dome that forms on top back into the cake? Does this really work? It just seems strange to me that this could work. What difference does it make in the cake itself? When do you do this, right after it comes out of the oven or later? Can someone who has used this method explain for me? Thanks.

nikki1201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki1201 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:52am
post #440 of 511

Here's the acronyms:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-2926.html

Believe me, they've been helpful!

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:23am
post #441 of 511

thanx Nikki1201 for your faster than fast answer regarding the acronyms icon_biggrin.gif (that should come in verrry handy) . . . my guess is that I will not be the only one that has confused DH with the not so complementary "dumb husband" instead of "dear husband" (sometimes they are interchangeable . . . yes/no? shhh.gif )

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 5:46am
post #442 of 511

there are a few that i've learned since being a member on cc.
fbct...all the transfers !
flower nail trick!
cake balls!
fondant recipes!
how to reverse your images!
...and marking your photos!
there's more, but i can't think of them just yet! icon_lol.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 12:01pm
post #443 of 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigil

What to do with cake scraps ......
Make cake balls Image

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

THIS HAS TO BE MY FAVORITE!!!!!!!!! They have become one of signature treats, (especially work well for bribes with kids)!!! icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

Monilynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monilynn Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 12:56pm
post #444 of 511

I have to say the freedom of having a choice other than wiltons. Thanks for all the info and ability to hit the shop button !!

Monica

serialbabe1968 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
serialbabe1968 Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:10pm
post #445 of 511

the best thing about cc for me is cc. i have learned so much from everyone. i spend every free moment i have looking at pictures and reading the forums. i am not very creative and i need inspirations. you guys have helped so much. thank you thank you thank you to all! icon_smile.gif

Tamz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tamz Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 1:14pm
post #446 of 511

I'm still a newbie to this site, but I have learned SO much! I think the best thing I've gotten from this site is the information on how to get legal - as of two weeks ago we have a permit from the Dept of Agriculture, and a license from the county/state. The second best would be the recipe for the No Crust Buttercream Icing, the one with salt in it. My customers cannot get enough of it! My husband says it's like a drug - you need more. So thanks to whoever submitted that recipe!

Tamz

stellaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stellaz Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 4:55pm
post #447 of 511

support!! No matter what the question is, there is always someone here that will take the time and walk you though it. Sharing would be next on my list. No one keeps something a secret. If you do it and it works, share with the group seems to be the motto here!!!

My thanks to everyone that has shared with and supported me!!

Stella

ChristineJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineJ Posted 4 Sep 2007 , 8:25pm
post #448 of 511

I've have learned so much from all of the people on her. The best, which are quite a few things, but always had trouble with getting my frosting smooth, so the roller and viva did the trick. Now if I could find some help with air-brushing all my problems would be solved lol. Thanks to all! thumbs_up.gif

AnneZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnneZA Posted 5 Sep 2007 , 1:13am
post #449 of 511

Since I don't make 3-D cakes, I never cut up my cakes to make cake balls. I don't level them either.

I bake all my cakes at 300 degrees, add 15 minutes to the original baking time, and have completely level cakes. Then let them cool only 5 minutes, turn them out on a cake rack and wrap them completely in saran wrap. Off to the freezer then. Believe me, I thought this was the stupidist thing I'd ever heard of, but it works.
My husband takes my cakes to work for all the employees, and the women beg him to get the recipe from me. I'm too embarrassed to tell them, because it's just a Pillsbury cake mix.

Keeping the moisture in adds a whole new demsion of flavor.

AnneZA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnneZA Posted 6 Sep 2007 , 12:48pm
post #450 of 511

Manual Sticky

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%