Need To Vent, My Primroses Are Horrible!

Decorating By momsandraven Updated 27 Jun 2005 , 1:31pm by MrsMissey

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 26 May 2005 , 3:50am
post #1 of 20

Hi everyone! I just need to whine a little, I am having the hardest time with my primroses for Wilton course II. I have one that the instructor made (using my frosting, no less) and it is beautiful. Mine-not so beautiful, to be kind. I've tried making my icing thinner, thicker, squeezing less, nothing is working. GRRRRRRR....
Tomorrow night is my final class, so I was practicing again tonight trying to get a couple of usable ones for my cake, but they still look like cr*p. Most of the other flowers came quite easy to me (and I'm a leftie!), so this is pretty frustrating.

Thanks coming to my pity party. I'm done now. Back to your normal programming...

19 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 26 May 2005 , 3:59am
post #2 of 20

Oh, mom's, You'll get it! I know you will. I have a hard time w/ petunia's in Course 3. They are my fav flower & I can't get it. I can get it close but not perfect. We just need to practice & we'll get it! So keep practicing!!

momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 26 May 2005 , 4:29am
post #3 of 20

im taking course 2 also, dont feel too bad! I cannot make the Darn Daisy!! arrr i was gettting sooooooo mad!!
i know how you feel! LOL!

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 26 May 2005 , 4:43am
post #4 of 20

I think everyone has those things they do really well and then those things that really have to be practiced. In my Course II, I loved making the mum, everyone else hated it.....I had a hard time getting the primrose too but after much practice I have either learned to love the imperfection or they really look better icon_lol.gif Keep practicing and if you don't get it right now, put the flowers you do like on the cake instead...it'll be okay!

momsandraven Posted 26 May 2005 , 4:53am
post #5 of 20

Thanks for the boost in morale guys! You're right, I need to just keep practicing. Momof3- I want to see your course II cake when you're done too! icon_smile.gif

momof3jotynjake Posted 26 May 2005 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by momsandraven

Thanks for the boost in morale guys! You're right, I need to just keep practicing. Momof3- I want to see your course II cake when you're done too! icon_smile.gif

ok lol!!! im debating on working on some flowers this weekend... ha ha
i have crooked flowers

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 26 May 2005 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 20

i have a question...do you "graduate" or move on, from each course, even if you can't make certain flowers?
reason i ask...i am self-taught. the only instruction i've had was from the wilton video courses, but i never got to courses 2 and 3 becuase i lost the videos. i'm just learning as i go.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 26 May 2005 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 20

Just keep practicing!! Practice will get you perfection (if not, better looking primroses, hehe). I still have not mastered the daisy.. I just keep making them though, although not pretty! Hang in there, it will get better... everytime you get a chance to, sit down and practice making some .. I can't tell you how many I scraped off and threw back into my bowl lol .. and hey, if we can't vent sometimes, I think we'd just explode! lol

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 26 May 2005 , 8:40pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane

i have a question...do you "graduate" or move on, from each course, even if you can't make certain flowers?
reason i ask...i am self-taught. the only instruction i've had was from the wilton video courses, but i never got to courses 2 and 3 becuase i lost the videos. i'm just learning as i go.

The courses aren't tested or graded, you just get a certificate of completion. Some of the ladies in my classes, bless their hearts, could not get ANYTHING right, flowers looked like blobs, cake showing through the icing, etc.... I'm NOT trying to be mean, I'm just saying, they just teach you and you do your best, it's not like you can 'fail' the class or anything.

I think everyone is better at certain flowers than others. I was not that great at the mum, and my rosebuds look like crap! Most of my daisies are not the greatest either. Lately, I am so rusty at making roses, even those don't look very good anymore! I think it is just practice that makes perfect. Maybe you can get your teacher to show you the technique again next class, and just keep practicing!

Melissa icon_smile.gif

Calejo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calejo Posted 26 May 2005 , 9:16pm
post #10 of 20

I usually think of doing them as hearts that overlap each other. I'm sure you'll get it soon! I'm glad you haven't given up. I still have problems with my roses wanting to fall.

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 26 May 2005 , 9:28pm
post #11 of 20

I am not very good at most flowers probably because I do not get much practice.

I do think we all get too hung up on our flowers and cakes being perfect. If you go out to a garden and look at the flowers they are not all perfect so why would we expect our to be? I am always my own worst critic but I am learning to lighten up (a little anyway).

C

momsandraven Posted 27 May 2005 , 3:31am
post #12 of 20

Well, here's my final cake. Lousy primroses included. icon_razz.gif My cake had a slight mishap on the way home icon_confused.gif , and one side got smooshed a little, but other than that I think it looks okay. I think I'll work on some more primroses this weekend, I want to do it again while it is still fresh in my mind. Not sure why I went to the trouble of dressing up the pic w/airbrushing, I guess it's just a habit. Oh well! Okay, momof3... your turn!
LL

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 27 May 2005 , 3:37am
post #13 of 20

I think it's very pretty...primroses and all.

momsandraven Posted 27 May 2005 , 3:43am
post #14 of 20

Wow, Lisa, you are speedy! icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you for your nice comment.

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 27 May 2005 , 3:43am
post #15 of 20

me too ... I don't see anything wrong w/your primroses.. they look fine icon_smile.gif

letseatcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letseatcake Posted 27 May 2005 , 3:59am
post #16 of 20

I'm a WMI and I don't see anything wrong with your flowers. I can't do the mum perfect I can show it , but I can't do more than that. It took me a year to get the daisy and somedays they still don't come out There is no perfect flower right ladies icon_biggrin.gif I also tell my students the pictures in the book might be computer generated or aibrushed, so think of your flower as your own creation. I aslo tell them that after they make 200 or so(laughing) they will see how good they will get. Plus if you've been decorating for over 20 years like the ladies that does the cakes for the yearbooks their flowers should be perfect. thumbs_up.gif

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 27 May 2005 , 5:26am
post #17 of 20

I can't make rosebuds very good either Melissa! Looking at the rosettes they look like one of the easiest things to make... well I can't make one!!!!! I'm serious! My friend is coming to the DOS & she said she'll teach me! I can do daisies real good BUT everytime I do one I have to figure it out all over again. It's still fun to me!!

momof3jotynjake Posted 27 May 2005 , 2:27pm
post #18 of 20

Your cake looks great!! i love it!!

tina, i cannt do daisy's for nothing! LOL!!!! oh well, gottta practice icon_smile.gif!!

Gotta prepare for nex weekend. i have my sons 4th b-day. gonna do a 2 tier stacked cake... and put dora figures all around.. lol...
then im doing a "naughty cake".. for my best friends b-day party... then i have a bear cake order... icon_smile.gif!!
busy busy!!

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 3:49am
post #19 of 20

Wow,, If thats Smooshed,, I will take it! it looks Great to me, I am sitting here thinking,, Who the Heck taught my 2nd course, I think I need a refund, because I dont remember them even going over some of these flowers. I have taught myself many. Thank GOD for the wilton books. Keep up the great work & keep Smiling! =0) ~Sweet~

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 27 Jun 2005 , 1:31pm
post #20 of 20

From one lefty to another...I feel your pain! I think you cake looks terrific...including your flowers!! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%