Confections On Parade Cake Show In San Diego - Soooo Awesome

Decorating By indigojods Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 2:16am by keriskreations

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 6:13am
post #1 of 40

I went to the cake show in La Jolla today and was totally blown away. I have never seen such amazing pieces of confectionary art! I realized that I have seen 1000's of cakes in my short time decorating but almost all pictures online or in books and magazines. Seeing them in person and getting to study them up close was incredible. I took a TON of pictures which I plan to share with everyone here. But, unfortunately the name tags were not on any of the cakes, but I am going back tomorrow so hopefully I can get the names so I can credit the artists appropriately. I will probably post the pics on flickr so I don't have to worry about blurring out any faces or anything. I will post the link when I have the pictures up. If you live near San Diego you should definitely check out the show tomorrow!

Jodie

39 replies
tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 6:31am
post #2 of 40

I'll be there tomorrow! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Soooo excited! YAY

FeGe_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FeGe_Cakes Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 6:48am
post #3 of 40

I went to one today in McKinney, TX and my mouth totally dropped. Never seen such beautiful cakes in person. I too have tons of pictures, but since I don't have the decorator's name I'm don't want to post in CC.

Hope to see your pictures!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:04am
post #4 of 40

Can hardly wait to see your photos Jodie. One of our members here and on another forum I belong to has entered and I have my fingers crossed for her.

indigojods Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:15am
post #5 of 40

Shirley - I just read on another thread that cakemommy won a best in show! I don't know which cake is hers, but I will add a note when I post the pics and hopefully get a pic tomorrow with a ribbon or something showing the winners...

I was disappointed that I only got to meet one of the cake decorators and ask them questions so it will be great to be able to talk to the ones that belong to cc.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 8:31am
post #6 of 40

I went today it was great I was amazied learned some new stuff in the demos. I wished i could of stayed all weekend specially atfer it turned into a three hour drive to get there this moring but it was worth it and everyone was so nice and warm. it was my very frist experience i am hooked so much i want to learn now.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 40

If you saw a 4 tier cake modeled from a painting ("The Abduction of Psyche")... that was mine. I hope it did well... I was rushed and didn't put the attention to detail in that I should have. I've never entered a cake comp. before and had no idea how awesome the other entries were. I was amazed!!! Can't wait to go back today and see them ALL!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 5:05pm
post #8 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by indigojods

Shirley - I just read on another thread that cakemommy won a best in show! I don't know which cake is hers, but I will add a note when I post the pics and hopefully get a pic tomorrow with a ribbon or something showing the winners...

I was disappointed that I only got to meet one of the cake decorators and ask them questions so it will be great to be able to talk to the ones that belong to cc.

Yes, I got a pm from her (Amy) last night, SO excited and she was thrilled. The other person I mentioned was Jan and I think her user name is Fairy Tale? Not sure now, have to look her up, I call her the cookie lady because she does fabulous decorated cookies. Her cakes are every bit as nice too.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 5:13pm
post #9 of 40

Amy's cake is really cool; I knew she was going to win SOMETHING. The string work was flawless.

indigojods Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:09pm
post #10 of 40

I am headed back for more...if anyone else is going I will be the one frantically writing down artist's names icon_smile.gif I will be with my identical twin too so I should be easy to spot. Hope to see you there. Jodie

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:36pm
post #11 of 40

I can't wait to see picture from the show

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 1:09am
post #12 of 40

I can't wait to see the pictures & hearty congratulations to everyone who won & is a CC member.

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #13 of 40

I would love to go to a cake show. I can't seem to find any around me. I must not be looking in the right places as I live right outside of Philly. There has to be something! Anyone know?

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 1:28am
post #14 of 40

I am sooo Jealous! icon_sad.gif I use to live in SD, Ca and I totally wish I was there! Please share LOTS of photos!
Have Fun!

indigojods Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:38am
post #15 of 40

Alrighty! I just finished getting my pics uploaded and putting the correct names on each cake. I put them on flickr.com. If you have not heard of it, you do not need a login or anything to view and download pictures. There is also a slideshow option on the top right of this page so you can go through them quickly (I took a lot of pics!)

Enjoy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63223389@N00/sets/72157600027106092/

P.S. Let me know if you have any info I was missing or know of any of the runners up. Thx.

LisasCakesNM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisasCakesNM Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:45am
post #16 of 40

People are SO AMAZING!!! Thanks for the wonderful pictures!! I was so amazed at the cakes from the kids, wow the power and talent! Thanks again!!

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:01am
post #17 of 40

those were great....i really wanted to go but I am very very pregnant and am on bedrest! I am glad I at least got to see the great cakes!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:03am
post #18 of 40

That is sooo cool!! I see Cakemommy's cakes did make there in perfect condition!! Good for her!

I have a stupid question for you.....how do you make those puffy cake boards??? I've been looking and looking for instructions for those!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:04am
post #19 of 40

Amy (cakemommy) wrote to me this morning and told me that she not only won Best in Show for her division, she also won Best of Best in Show.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:10am
post #20 of 40

I need to give her a call and congradulate her!!! I'm so glad! I really need to take some lessons from her.....

indigojods Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:33am
post #21 of 40

Wow! cakemommy definitely deserved it. I would love to know how long that took her to make. Did you guys see KathyKakes' incredible sleeping beauty cake? It is one of the first in my photoset and definitely one of my favorites. There is also a beautiful white and black cake by aupekkle. So far those are the cc members that I have identified and they are all amazing! I feel so fortunate to be part of a community with so many talented people!

katerpillrgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerpillrgrl Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:43am
post #22 of 40

Oh my! Talk about some gorgeous cakes! Thanks so much for posting that. I, like most here I'm sure, had a wonderful time viewing such lovely works of art.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 6:04am
post #23 of 40

Wow! Each one I saw I said, that is the most pretty cake I've seen. Then I clicked on another one and said "oh wait, that one is the most pretty cake I've seen!"

Those are all great and everyone should have won. I would have hated to be a judge there.

KlyKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KlyKat Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 10:04am
post #24 of 40

Thank you so much for taking the time to post these pics for us to enjoy!!!! So many incredibly talented people out there and here icon_biggrin.gif K'ly

tmdoxie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmdoxie Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 11:40am
post #25 of 40

Now I know where all of the cakes the kids on My Super Sweet Sixteen come from. Those cakes are gorgeous. I bet a cake in LaJolla costs sooo much.

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 12:26pm
post #26 of 40

THANK YOU!! That was just awesome to watch in slideshow version. My jaw dropped every time the frame changed. Wow. Thank you for doing all of that, it helps us overseas not feel so left out. icon_wink.gif I keep telling myself, one day!

But now, I see I have much much much more to learn. icon_redface.gif Well, that's the fun part of it too, learning a new technique and practicing it out on family and friends. LOL.

Thanks for sharing!

And congratulations to all the entrants! Super impressive!

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 2:18pm
post #27 of 40

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!! THEY WER BEAUTIFULLY TAKEN PICTURES FOR GEORGEOUS CAKES! icon_biggrin.gif

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 2:27pm
post #28 of 40

CONGRATULATIONS AMY!!! I've always known you are a winner!! I'm soooo happy for you. All I could say was, OH MY GOSH *with matching jaw dropping expression* icon_lol.gif

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:25pm
post #29 of 40

Thank you for sharing

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:52pm
post #30 of 40

I also won best in show... which surprised the heck out of me (being my first contest and all). I don't believe it's noted in the pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%