Luster Images on Cake Central
Ruffles, Lace And Jewels
My wedding cake submission for the Utah State Fair took 1st Place. My design was inspired by my mother's nostalgic pearl purse. I sculpted the heart topper out of Rice Krispie Treats & then covered it with various sizes of pearls & non-pareils. After ruffling the top & bottom tiers, I hand painted their gilded edges. I made 2 sizes of 6 petal gumpaste flowers & embossed them with my dresden tool. I molded brooches for the flower centers & hand painted them with gold & luster dust. I molded dragees using my pearl mold & painted them gold. I also made Isomalt crystals using my pearl mold. I created a 3-dimensional lace in the double barrel middle tier. I molded pieces of lace using various flower lace molds. I added the gold dragees, tiny pearls & the isomalt crystals as well as the 3 sizes of gumpaste flowers. I overpipped some of the flowers using a special technique that I learned from Kathleen Lange. I double crimped the fondant covered baseboard to create a decorative border & then hand painted it gold as well. The entire cake was dusted with super gold luster dust.
Wafer Paper In Blue
This blue!! This ruffled cake was made using wafer paper strips. I printed a blue image on my edible ink printer and applied blue luster dust to each strip. Strips were applied to buttercream using piping gel. The flowers are wafer paper as well
Birch Bark Wedding Cake
Birch Bark Wedding Cake This four tier birch bark wedding cake was created with modeling chocolate on the sidewalls. I chose modeling chocolate and luster dusts because I wanted to create a more realistic bark. I covered the walls of the cake in white modeling chocolate, cut the top off level with the cake and dusted it with the customer's wedding color, Tiffany Blue. To create a sheen to the modeling chocolate bark I dusted the entire tier in a pearl luster dust. Then I used a the wide tipped Dresden fondant tool, to create the straight lines, and an Exacto knife to create the peeled bark effect. Once I sculpted the chocolate I used an oil based food coloring to paint in the dark lines. Once the cakes were stacked it was a matter of adding the sugar flowers. I made somewhere around 175 sugar flowers for this cake. I knew that I wouldn't use all of them but I wanted to make sure that I could create a full arrangement. I did, however, use about 80% of them. When I started the sugar flowers I made just the Tiffany Blue sunflowers. I had to contact the customer because I felt that they didn't look like sunflowers and was worried that it wouldn't be to the brides liking. She sent me an image of her wedding bouquet which had yellow and white sunflowers. So, we discussed it and decided to go with white, Tiffany Blue and yellow sunflowers. I also added sugar Stephanotis, roses and baby's breath. When I started adding the sunflowers sugar leaves it really brought the flowers out. It took me 7 eight hour days just to complete the sugar work for this cake. All together it took around 75 hours to complete but the bride was stunning, the wedding was gorgeous and the cake was a beautiful hit!
I just finished this cake yesterday. I used a lot of wafer paper and silver leaf. I also used quite a bit of luster dust. It was lots of fun to make very sparkly!
I made 30 unicorn cupcakes, half strawberry and half were vanilla with rainbow sprinkles inside. The horns were fondant painted with gold luster dust. The cupcakes were adorned with a couple of fondant flowers each. I think they came out pretty cute! Buttercream is Swiss meringue using Wilton meringue powder.