Frosting Cupcakes Like They Do @ Cupcake Cafe (Ny)

Decorating By AKS Updated 4 Nov 2005 , 6:13pm by blittle6

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 1:58am
post #1 of 25

Does anyone have any idea how they frost these? The frosting is high, flat and the sides of the cupcake liner are clean. Any suggestions? Thanks!
-Alysa
LL
LL

24 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 2:15am
post #2 of 25

Did you see them featured on Unwrapped? That was an awesome show!

Anyway, I just saw them use a narrow spatula (I think it was) and pile on a good amount of frosting and then scrape some off to make the top flat and then scrape around the sides. That's it! There really was no fantastic technique. I think the trick is to use a lot of icing so when you scrape the top to make flat you won't be scraping the cupcake.

Amy

cakemommy Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 2:17am
post #3 of 25

Oh yeah, their cupcakes didn't have dome tops either! They actually didn't rise too much over the top of the paper liner.

Amy

edcjenv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edcjenv Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 2:19am
post #4 of 25

I was thinking you could use a size 12 tip, swirl it on the top, then use a small spatula to smooth it and scrape the sides BTW ---- I use about 1/3 c batter in my cupcakes and they usually rise to the top of the liner

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 3:16am
post #5 of 25

I found this cute photo online from the Cupcake Cafe. What a LOT of buttercream detail...and a LOT of work to boot!

icon_eek.gif
LL

AKS Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 3:31am
post #6 of 25

Thanks guys. I didn't dee them on Unwrapped, but I'm going to see if they're on the schedule any time soon. Did you check out Sugar Rush last night?

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 3:37am
post #7 of 25

I think you might be able to get close to that look using tip 12 and then smooth lightly with a paper towel or your finger dipped in cornstarch. I like using tip 1M on my cupcakes. I get a big swirl...but it is easy and saves time. Those cupcakes are really cute...but it seems like I never have enough time to spend on that much detail. icon_smile.gif

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 3:47am
post #8 of 25

I live in NJ and have been to the Cupcake Cafe a few times. They use a "real" buttercream (no crisco), and the cupcakes dont always look so neat and clean around the edges icon_surprised.gif They have two sizes of cupcakes and the small ones are really small. They are known for the elaborate flowers and decorations on the cupcakes. I also have their book. Its pretty detailed with written directions, but I wish they would have included a few more photo details.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 3:57am
post #9 of 25

what cakemommy said. lol I, too, saw them on Unwrapped & that's just what she did. Just took a giant glob of frosting...wiggled the spatula back & forth kind of quickly a few times until it was close to the height she wanted....then in one swoop took a bunch off the top. Next she went around the sides of it, in one motion I think...and then went back to the top and swept across it quickly to make it even/level. DONE! I think it took her all of a whopping 23 1/2 seconds!! At least that's what it seemed like!! lol icon_razz.gif

cakemommy Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 4:05am
post #10 of 25

What is the titile of the book you have that features their cupcakes? I'd love to see it or at least know if I have already seen it.

JennT, you're funny! icon_razz.gif

Amy

Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 5:04pm
post #11 of 25

The book I have is called The Cupcake Cafe Cookbook.. the authors are Ann Warren & Joan Lilly

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 6:44pm
post #12 of 25

I just got the Cupcake Cafe Book....it was ok!

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 6:55pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennT

what cakemommy said. lol I, too, saw them on Unwrapped & that's just what she did. Just took a giant glob of frosting...wiggled the spatula back & forth kind of quickly a few times until it was close to the height she wanted....then in one swoop took a bunch off the top. Next she went around the sides of it, in one motion I think...and then went back to the top and swept across it quickly to make it even/level. DONE! I think it took her all of a whopping 23 1/2 seconds!! At least that's what it seemed like!! lol icon_razz.gif

this is how I ice my cupcakes too..to have a nice flat surface for decorating.

I weigh down my cakes when they are done. It makes them flat right away.

Place them upside down onto parchment paper lined sheet pans with a heavy item on top.

they are cooled enough to be removed from the pans and then weighted down.

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 6:56pm
post #14 of 25

Gee whiz! I have a hard enough time smoothing a cake, let alone a million little stupid cupcakes!! I'm with traci, I do the 1M tip!! But then again, those cupcakes are beautiful, just can't imagine that effort!

ThePastryDiva Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafrogcakes

Gee whiz! I have a hard enough time smoothing a cake, let alone a million little stupid cupcakes!! I'm with traci, I do the 1M tip!! But then again, those cupcakes are beautiful, just can't imagine that effort!

Mama frogs..once you start doing them flat...you never go back..hehehe

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 7:04pm
post #16 of 25

Diva--I understand making the actual cupcake flat, but to flatten the icing too? I'll leave that to you guys!

sgirvan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sgirvan Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 7:14pm
post #17 of 25

Doing the cupcakes flat and clean like that really is not hard. I also flatten my cupcakes as soon as they come out of the oven, make sure you fill your cupcakes no more than 2/3 full when filling.
I then make sure I have an icing that is of medium/thin consistency as it doesn't "stick" to the cupcake and get crumbs in my icing and it smooths better. I place about a 2 tblsp dollop on top in the middle and then use my small flat spatula to push out the the sides and make even then I hold the spatula straight up and down and place the sharp edge against the cupcake and turn the cupcake, this takes off the excess an cleans it right up. Not hard really at all. I hope I explained it ok

nola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nola Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 7:19pm
post #18 of 25

I think I'm seeing things.. icon_eek.gif
Amazon had the Cupcake Cafe Cookbook for $77.00.

erinlynn22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinlynn22 Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 7:24pm
post #19 of 25

Its funny, i probably walk past the Cupcake Cafe atleast twice a week on my way to or from work and i've never been in it. Maybe i should peek in and checkout their stuff. I have no suggestions on how to get them flat. icon_biggrin.gif

ThePastryDiva Posted 28 Oct 2005 , 7:27pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafrogcakes

Diva--I understand making the actual cupcake flat, but to flatten the icing too? I'll leave that to you guys!

lol still say ..once you go flat...

but I wonder if you could make little butter cream circles..and do the "upside down frosting" thing with the cupcakes too?

I love experimenting....one of these days......heeeehehe

AKS Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 2:29am
post #21 of 25

THANKS GUYS!
-ALYSA

heffer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heffer Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 2:56am
post #22 of 25

$ 77 Yes for that book it should bake and frost for you icon_lol.gif

kerririchards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerririchards Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 3:06am
post #23 of 25

I am making cookies and cupcakes for my daughters Bake Sale at school. Think I will have to try the flat technique after baking and then the flat frosting. Thanks guys! You gave me some great ideas!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 6:10pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by nola

I think I'm seeing things.. icon_eek.gif
Amazon had the Cupcake Cafe Cookbook for $77.00.

The book has been out of print for some time and last I heard, the publisher had no plans to issue a new print.
I have read many reviews on this book, I have yet to read a good one. Her decorating skills are excellent but there was not enough information in the book to pass this information along according to the reviews. Such a shame too, because the buttercream flowers etc. are wonderful. From the reviews I read, the book was not considered worth its original price, let alone the "out-of-print" price.
Perhaps you can find it at a library and judge for yourself.
Hugs Squirrelly

blittle6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blittle6 Posted 4 Nov 2005 , 6:13pm
post #25 of 25

I have the book if anyone needs a recipe! PM or e-mail me [email protected]

Berta

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%