Red Icing-- Help!!!

Decorating By mmstormont Updated 7 Feb 2007 , 6:06am by Mylene

mmstormont Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmstormont Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:35am
post #1 of 7

How do I get true "crayon red" icing? No matter how much color I use, it just comes out a pinky/orange color. I am putting wilton "red" into white buttercream icing. I NEED HELP!!! icon_cry.gif

6 replies
Heather1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather1128 Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:44am
post #2 of 7

I had this problem the first time I did Mickey Mouse and needing him to have red pants. I use an entire bottle of the Wilton "no taste red" for one two pound batch of frosting. (This will get it crayon red). I have tried other brands and when I use so much it tastes icky. Hope this helps.

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:46am
post #3 of 7

OK...first calm down....now here goes...

first you start your red using a deep pink get it as deep as posible...then add red in..it will not get super red at first...kinda a almost red color. but wait...after about 10 minutes the color nutralizes and be comes a pretty good shade of red.

I hope this helps!!!

mmstormont Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:48am
post #4 of 7

Thank You!!! I thought about using the whole bottle!!! I'm about halfway there! icon_smile.gif I am using the no taste red as well. One more question though... Is it going to dye people mouths red really bad? I'm using it for roses and detailing, not to cover a whole cake or anything.

mrsfish94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsfish94 Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:50am
post #5 of 7

It might...but I don't think so. Not like black would.

mmstormont Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:59am
post #6 of 7

I hope not b/c I would hate to have a bunch of red-toothed/tongued people banging on my door the next day!!! icon_biggrin.gif I'll try the pink as well, I have plenty of icing to spare, so I can stand to experiment quite a bit. Thank you all so so much!

Mylene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mylene Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 6:06am
post #7 of 7

If I need a buttercream icing that has to be tinted red, I usually put some "Cake Mate" decorating icing, just to reach the color red that I need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%