Is It Worth It?

Decorating By GinaJuarez Updated 26 Oct 2005 , 2:44am by stephanie214

GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 7

This is a class description of a course available at my local community college. I was wondering if you think it would be worth the money. $215. I am just doing this out of my home for now, but if I get good enough and get enough orders, I would enjoy opening a bakery sometime in the future.

Entire course outline:
http://www.pc.maricopa.edu/cgi/sch/indx.cgi?term=20056

Basic Course outline:
Advanced principles and techniques in commercial baking and dessert preparation. Focus on fine pastries with European flair and on desserts served in better hotels, restaurants, and resorts. Preparation of macaroons, tarts, puff pastries, specialty cakes, and desserts such as Bavarian creams, mousses, custards, souffles, crepe desserts, and flammeries. Preparation and use of sauces, techniques for using nuts and chocolate, and exploration of new recipes. Prerequisites: None.

6 replies
GinaJuarez Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 7

There is also this course available for the same amount.

http://www.pc.maricopa.edu/cgi/sch/indx.cgi?term=20056

Principles and techniques for preparation, storage, and serving of bakery products. Includes breads, cakes, pies, pastry, cookies, fillings, and icings. Emphasis on practical experiences in a commercial bakery. Prerequisites: None.

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 7

WOW that is a great deal..
Shoot, over here our cake supply store charges 90 bucks for an 8hr. class of "how to work with fondant". just 8 hrs, for one thing???????? I would say " GO FOR IT!!!".

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 7

It sounds like these courses are part of a program. I think I would look into what you can do with these courses towards a certificate program. For example, with apprenticing so many hours under a licensed baker, will these courses offer certification? This would be a good route to go.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

GinaJuarez Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 5:17pm
post #5 of 7

There is a certificate porogram, but it's a more broad restaurant type of thing.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 5:34pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaJuarez

There is a certificate porogram, but it's a more broad restaurant type of thing.

Well, most of these types of courses have courses that are recognized in various programmes, like culinary arts or Hotel Motel Restaurant Management. Some have specific courses that can be applied to Baker etc. I think it would be interesting to see what other programmes they could be applied to. I think that this sounds like a good way to go.
When we invest in courses like that, I think it is a good idea to find out if you can apply them to other certificate programmes also. If you are going to spend the money, it is good to know.
However regardless, these would help you in your plans for the future. You might want to go down to the registrar's office and ask about that. If you are taking courses that may put you in a position that you are well on your way to a certificate, it might be worth the investigation. With a certificate, you can have other options open down the road.
Good for you, this sounds like a great idea!
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 2:44am
post #7 of 7

Hi Gina,

Since you have hopes of opening a bakery one day, I would say go for it.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%