Spun Sugar

Sugar Work By Nilu Updated 31 Oct 2005 , 1:46am by SquirrellyCakes

Nilu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nilu Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 4:41am
post #1 of 17

hi everybody

I want to tell all of you out there that as u know shaker a very important tool for spun sugar can be made at home ,I got this information from one site on net the procedure is as follows :-

Take 4 inch square block of wood ,1 inch thick.Hammer fifty 3 inch nails acoss that block of wood, 1/2 inch apart from each other, to make handle for shaker hamer you can stick medium sized pipe on the center of the block with fevicol or any other adhesive which you use to stick one block of wood with another.

Bye ........

16 replies
Sory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sory Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 4:51am
post #2 of 17

Ohhhh, Nilu!! Thank you very much! I got the instructions on how to do "Spun Sugar". You save my life!

Thank you, thank you! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Bye!

Nilu Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 8:38am
post #3 of 17

Most welcome

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 9:17am
post #4 of 17

Its great that you are trying spun sugar. Do you have a recipe? Do not add acid to it. It will not work the way it is suppose to if you do, the acid makes the sugar pliable you do not want that in spun sugar. Make sure you cover your work area good this stuff makes a mess!

ThePastryDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThePastryDiva Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 9:42am
post #5 of 17

another inexpensive tool for spun sugar is to use a whisk.

Just cut the bottom off with heavy duty wire cutters.

We jammed 2 oiled, wooden spoons on top of some tall cans and did ours. I will try to post the pic..

Nilu Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 12:22pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks both of you

Nilu Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 17

HI

CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK FOR SPUN SUGAR RECIPE-

http://www.freerecipe.org/Dessert/Candy/spun-sugar-recipe-bscr.htm

ANY TYPE OF ACID IS A STRICT NO IN SPUN SUGAR

BYE.......... thumbs_up.gif

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 17

Heehee, I go back to the old days when we used to attach hooks to the end of the kitchen counter, to spin the sugar on. Right into the wood, now this is way back! And yes, it most surely did make a mess along with a permanent mess or damage to your counter front. Hhmn, still have the old Culinary Arts Institute recipe and method that we used back then.
Sometimes, we would just jam the handles of wooden spoons into the drawers and use these as hooks. Fortunately it was at Grandma's house. Don't think people had designer kitchens back then, they were more practicle.
Brings back good old memories!

Hugs Squirrelly

SugarCreations Posted 24 Oct 2005 , 11:02pm
post #9 of 17

I don't like the addition of cream of tartar in the spun sugar recipe. Let me look at my notes agian. I do not want to stick my size 10 1/2 shoe in my mouth I have done it too much already.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 1:56am
post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCreations

I don't like the addition of cream of tartar in the spun sugar recipe. Let me look at my notes agian. I do not want to stick my size 10 1/2 shoe in my mouth I have done it too much already.

Heehee finally someone that wears a bigger shoe size than me, figures that you are a man, haha!
Uh, just out of interest, there was a pinch of cream of tartar in the old spun sugar recipe I have from the Culinary Arts Institute.
It was:
4 cups sugar, 2 cups water
Pinch of Cream of Tartar
1 tsp. glucose
Dissolve sugar in water while heating and stirring. Cook to 280C, or the soft crack stage. Then add the cream of tartar and glucose and continue cooking until 310C or to the hardcrack stage. Remove quickly from the heat and to prevent sugar from changing colour, set pan in cold water. Then remove and place in warm water. Oil a rolling pin or the blade of a large knife and hold it out straight with the left hand, then with the right hand dip a wqrm spoon into the syrup and shake it back and forward over the rolling pin. The sugar will fall across the rolling pin in long threads. Or oil the handles of two wooden spoons and jam the other end into a drawer. Cover floor underneath and use a cut wire whisk, two forks, whatever and dip into sugar going back and forth over the wooden spoon handles. The faster you go, the thinner the thread. This is how we used to do it, I am talking about in the 60's, haha!
Hugs Squirrelly

SugarCreations Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 10:07am
post #11 of 17

SC
The spun sugar recipe I have is:

2 pounds granulated sugar
12 ounces corn syrup
1 pint water

Don't anybody use this! Sounds like an over saturation of something to me. I will do the math and re-posts. It is an old recipe. I have several. But I am going to be late for work if I don't get off here.SC glad to see you getting involved in the threads so your a former sugar person too huh. Great! We need some different input makes it more interesting.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 3:35pm
post #12 of 17

Haha, well I go back to the days when a candy thermometer was a luxury item, never saw one while growing up. It was all, soft ball, hard ball stage and you had to practice to know what you were doing when you made candy and such.
I think a lot of grandmothers made sugar confections with the grandchildren, just to keep them busy.
Pulled taffy was very much a part of French Canadian culture involving the celebration of a saint's day.
The artistry of sugar sculpture was very specialized.
It is a fascinating subject though.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

SugarCreations Posted 25 Oct 2005 , 9:08pm
post #13 of 17

Well I am glad we have them now or I would be burning a lot of sugar.
As far the acid in spun sugar I definitely would not use it.As I think I said before it makes the sugar more pliable an effect you do not want in spun sugar.Glucose is an invert sugar that will not recrystallize and is good but it will make the sugar hotter to work with as if it is not hot enough. Not saying you cannot use it if you want to go ahead to each his or her own but I do not think you will get the effect that you are looking for.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 26 Oct 2005 , 2:20am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarCreations

Well I am glad we have them now or I would be burning a lot of sugar.
As far the acid in spun sugar I definitely would not use it.As I think I said before it makes the sugar more pliable an effect you do not want in spun sugar.Glucose is an invert sugar that will not recrystallize and is good but it will make the sugar hotter to work with as if it is not hot enough. Not saying you cannot use it if you want to go ahead to each his or her own but I do not think you will get the effect that you are looking for.

Well, it used to work really well from what I remember. Things are ever changing. This only had a wee pinch of it in. We used to return the pot to the heat too, when it cooled off too much, I remember that well.
It was great fun, haha, a chance to make a big sticky sweet mess.
Hugs Squirrelly

Sory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sory Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 3:49pm
post #15 of 17

Hello ladies,

Sorry I couldn't answer before, but we got hit hard. We still have no electricity and they said it'll take until Nov. 15th to get it back. I'm using a laptop on backup battery.

I'll read all the messages, when I get power back on.

Take care.

Sory

SugarCreations Posted 30 Oct 2005 , 5:41pm
post #16 of 17

You don't worry about us. You take care of yourself and family. We will be here when you get ready.Good Luck.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 31 Oct 2005 , 1:46am
post #17 of 17

Hope life returns to normal for you soon!
Hugs SQuirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%