Trouble With Wilton Foodwriters....ugh!!

Decorating By kello Updated 7 Feb 2007 , 1:15pm by kello

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 17

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? The black food writer is just not working on my fondant. The fondant is dry and smooth and the writer is barely working......like it's running out. It's brand new though. How do I get a nice dark line??? I've heard these (Wilton) aren't the best to use, but I already had them. Any tricks to get it working?

Thanks!!

16 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 17

Ohhh, I would love to know too! I have the Wilton ones and they write so light and not the same depth as you are writting the same letter=( Is it just because they are garbage and I should pick up a different brand?? Jen

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 9:32pm
post #3 of 17

I use the Americolor pens and they are WONDERFUL!!! They come with 10 colors I think and I have had no problem at all. When I bought them, the lady told me a tip..... put them in the fridge for longer shelf life.

I bought them a while back and they are still like new.

I wish I could help you out on the one that you have...... Could the top have been left off and maybe dried out??? Was it stored where the pen was facing "up" instead of "down". I know it sounds like I am grasping here....just trying to help......

kello Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:33pm
post #4 of 17

I have stored mine in the fridge. Haven't had them very long.....a month or so. Just wondering if maybe it was old stock or if everyone feels that way about the Wilton ones? I would hate to have to go out and buy new ones. I definitly need them though. Any other way to "paint" a simple face on?

lparnaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lparnaby Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:43pm
post #5 of 17

Personally I hate the Wilton markers. I was speaking to the ladies at my cake supply place and she told me that any scrapbooking amrkers are great for cakes. As long as they are acid free, they are perfect.

They are so much easier to find and there are a million different colors in them aswell.

minnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minnow Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 17

I think it's the Wilton product that's a dud. My friend bought some a couple months back only to use the black. Thought using these would be easier and faster then piping on the fondant plaque. Wrong. It looked dried out. Couldn't wipe it off; just smeared. Had to make a new plaque and pipe the message. We won't buy that stuff again!

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 2:58pm
post #7 of 17

Really? Scrapbooking markers? Are they food safe? It would be great if they are ok to use...so many colors and tips to choose from.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:04pm
post #8 of 17

I'm sorry to have to say it, but pretty much anything with the Wilton name on it is sub-par.

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 17

I have the FooDoodler ones, and on the rare occurrence that one seems to be drying out or writing too light - I dip the felt tip in same-color liquid airbrush color and they are good as new again.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:23pm
post #10 of 17

bedkalita....what a great tip. i'm going to have to try that one

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:30pm
post #11 of 17

I have to agree that the Wilton food writers are crap! I am sorely disappointed in them. I have a few items I'd like to give back to them with a piece of my mind about how useful they are! icon_wink.gif But I'm toooo nice for that! Har-har, right!! icon_twisted.gif

Lindsayu83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lindsayu83 Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm
post #12 of 17

I'd like to know if the scapbooking markers are safe to eat as well. They're probably not actually approved for consumption. I would think that crayola markers or anything made for kids would be ok too. They say non-toxic right on the box.

kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:03pm
post #13 of 17

i heard if it says non toxic they're ok to usey

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:36pm
post #14 of 17

Chuck the wilton ones...get the americolor ones. Probably not too helpful right now, but that is the best choice.

Have you tried painting the design with the thinned black icing color? i use vodka and americolor.

Good Luck,

Julia

GRAMMASUE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GRAMMASUE Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 4:53pm
post #15 of 17

The Americolor markers are fantastic - I've used them on many fondant cakes and they work great. The latest one was a purse cake and I drew the designs with the markers. I bought mine here on Cake Central.

lparnaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lparnaby Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 12:40am
post #16 of 17

I asked the people at Bakery sugarcraft which is one of Australias largest cake supply places and tehy said it is saffe to use scrapbook markers as long as they are acid free.

They sell them at the cake place, and no other food markers.

kello Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 1:15pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you all so much! The scrapbook marker idea is wonderful.....saved me, as I don't have time to order the Americolor pens. I never would have thought of using the scrapbook pens......brilliant!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%