How Do I Store 50/50 Gumpaste Mix?

Decorating By EverlastingSweets Updated 6 Feb 2007 , 2:55pm by bohemia

EverlastingSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverlastingSweets Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 8

Hello helpful friends!
I'm making a new batch of 50/50 gumpaste and fondant for figurines. How long can I store it? And what is the best way to store it? I've tried adding the gumtex to my storebought fondant, but I need it to be stiffer, so I'm trying the 50/50 mix.
Any help is appreciated!
Thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

7 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 8

You can store it the same way you store fondant or gumpaste. It must be very carefully wrapped and put in an airtight container.

I generally smear the exterior with a bit of shortening to prevent it from crusting on the outside surface.

RoseCitySugarcraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 7:59pm
post #3 of 8

EverlastingSweets,

As an alternative of sorts, if the 50/50 blend doesn't work for you, then experiment with adding just a little more gumtex to your ready-to-use fondant, until you get the texture you need.
I was making a new batch for figures the other day, and got it a little too stiff to work for figures, but noticed it would work for other applications.

Good luck, and HTH,

~ Scott

EverlastingSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverlastingSweets Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 8

thank you! So for storing, wrap in cling wrap and double bag? Is that the best way?
And Indy, I love Wonder Woman!!!! you rock!

RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks, ES! Was a fun cake to do!

and storing your sugarpaste: wrap TIGHTLY with plastic wrap, and place in an airtight container of appropriate size. Too much room leaves more air trapped inside, and will harden the paste quickly. I don't bother with bags, for they just invite another opportunity for accidentally trapped air.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:31pm
post #6 of 8

If you have a food saver type thing you can always use it to store your fondant and gumpaste. Since it sucks all the air out, it helps keep it softer longer. icon_smile.gif

RoseCitySugarcraft Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 11:36pm
post #7 of 8

GOOD GRIEF!!! I have one, use it all the time, but it never occured to me to use it for sugarpaste! icon_rolleyes.gif

BIG "DOH!!!!" moment...

Thanks for the wake-up call, TexasSugar !!! thumbs_up.gif

bohemia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bohemia Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 8

I store leftovers by wrapping individual colors tightly in cling wrap and then placing them in ziplock baggies (Suck out air and label).

As for molded figures, I've kept some longer than 2 weeks with good results. I just put them in a tall cake box. I buy 8x8x8 ones especially for storing figures. Just keep them in a clean dustless and dry place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%