Cupcake Challenge On Food Network

Decorating By Mac Updated 23 Oct 2005 , 6:37pm by bubblezmom

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 3:16am
post #1 of 19

Just saw the cupcake challenge on Food Network. It was truly a different aspect on cupcakes.

18 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 4:21am
post #2 of 19

I watched it, too. Now I'm really really really excited! I'm taking a cake sculpting class on Saturday from Bronwen Weber, the 2nd place winner! Even better - gdixoncakes (Ginger) from this site will be joining me. How fun!

Anyway - about the cupcake challenge. I didn't care for Martin whatsisface's all chocolate thing. He also did the all chocolate super busy cake on the birthday cake challenge.

Felt bad for the organic bakers from San Fran - they were really just outclassed, but they hung in there.

My favorite was the ocean one - mostly because it looked so real from a distance! Too bad they didn't measure it and came up 3" short on the height requirement.

Bronwen's was beautiful, but of course it had a very definite back and except for all the beautiful flowers, it just wasn't *that* original.

The big metal flower one was really neat, but kind of plain looking.

Definitely loved the winner. The dragons, fairies and flowers were gorgeous and original.

Happy with the results, glad I managed to catch it, and can't wait until Saturday!!!

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 4:43am
post #3 of 19

I have not seen the show yet but I recorded it. I am anxious to see it.

Ali, you are so lucky to be able to take a class with Bronwen. I saw her do a demonstation this summer and she seems like a lot of fun. That is also her perspective that cake decorating should be fun and 'it is just cake!' so don't be afraid of it.

Let us know how your class goes.

Cindy

Sherryb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherryb Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 4:45am
post #4 of 19

I thought the winners were great, too. It was fun to watch.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 4:58am
post #5 of 19

I enjoyed watching this one, too. I especially liked hearing the judges' comments as the evaluations progressed.

Some things really surprised me. It seemed that some of the contestants didn't read the rules very well! It's hard to excuse an entry being too short, or too much of it being made in advance, etc.

The two custom metal stands made to hold the cupcakes would cost SOOOOOOO much money to have fabricated that you'd have to use it every day for 3 years to get your money back! They were lovely, but I appreciate the practical a lot more.

I wonder if the organic bakers realized that their cupcakes were crumbly, or if the baker of the cakes in chocolate cups took into account the fact that the two textures would be at odds with easy eating together?

Mostly, what I really want to know is how those gumpaste/fondant flowers were dyed????? It looks like a marvelous, time-saving technique, rather than adding color to bits of fondant and kneading your hands sore. I'm "guessing" that the mixture in the plastic containers was gin, Everclear, or lemon extract with color added. She dipped them pretty quickly using fine tweezers and then set them to dry. I have some fondant I'm willing to sacrifice to try this and I'll report back on my findings. I'm going to do it first without gumpaste added. We'll see....

Happy baking!
Rae

TraciJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TraciJ Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 19

I liked the winner's the best. Of course, I'm a sucker for fairies but also for longshots! I loved the look on her face when she won. She almost looked heartbroken when she didn't get 2nd or 3rd so it was so cool watching when she won.

I liked the underwater one too, but that wasn't my favorite.

That chocolate guy has fabulous chocolate ideas, but he just doesn't have it for the cake contests--chocolate contests, he'd be great.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 19

Hi guys! I watched it last night too....

I think the winner deserved to win....the chocolate guy was amazing, he had a great comeback, but, it wasn't very floral...as it needed to be.

The underwater scene probably would have won...I bet he'll be kicking himself for a very long time!!!!

I loved the origami cupcake holders by the organic ladies but the ones who placed 1st 2nd and 3rd deserved it!

How does one compete in these challenges? Is it by invitation or do you apply and get chosen? Hmmmmmm.....

solidezca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
solidezca Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 2:02pm
post #8 of 19

Hi! I am new to this site, but I have been reading a lot in the forum! just wanted to give my opinion on the cupcake cookoff show! I finally caught one of those shows, I've heard so much about those "cake challenges" I enjoyed it last night! I really liked the under water masterpiece! but I can't believe he failed to make it 3 ft tall! didnt they read the minimum requirements? what a shame! The chocolate one, I didnt really care for it much, but I really felt bad when the whole thing collapsed like that! that must of been terrible! good luck next time I guess!
I can't wait for the new show sugar rush! I think that will be interesting.
Shirley

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 17 Oct 2005 , 4:27pm
post #9 of 19

Oh finally! I get to talk about a Food Network Challenge!!!

I flipped back and forth last night between Grey's Anatomy and the Challenge. The Challenge got a smidge more attention.

I was hopping the Dragon would win and it did! I'm so glad. I love the inspiration behind the design. I wasn't that impressed with all of them, like the all chocolate, not very floral, the organic garden, and the flower pot one. I loved the under water one, too bad it fell short, and the one with the green sugar supports was very colorful. I'm glad the dragon won though. I just wish more details could have been shown on it. They didn't give it a really good once over so I could concentrate on the design.

Can't wait for the next challenge.

Amy

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 6:53am
post #10 of 19

Dang it! I missed it! I'm glad it will be on again. I was AT that challenge and got to see all those decorators work so hard that whole day. It was amazing. I was hoping to see it so I could hear the commentary on it because that the actual event, there wasn't a whole lot of talking going on.

Plus I want to see if my daughter and I are on tv! LOL!

KimAZ

mvucic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mvucic Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 8:01am
post #11 of 19

KimAZ et al...

You didn't miss it completely yet! It's airing several times this week! Here's the link to foodtv.com for more showtimes!

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_cc/episode/0,,FOOD_20077_40672,00.html

Eh, I'll make it easier! Here you go icon_smile.gif

AIR TIMES:
October 16, 2005 10:00 PM ET/PT
October 17, 2005 2:00 AM ET/PT
October 20, 2005 9:00 PM ET/PT
October 21, 2005 1:00 AM ET/PT
October 22, 2005 6:00 PM ET/PT
October 23, 2005 3:00 PM ET/PT

Great challenge! Totally agreed with the judges on this one icon_smile.gif

Mirjana

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:32pm
post #12 of 19

Thanks for posting the times. I really hope I can remember to watch or tape now. I'd really like to see this!

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 2:38pm
post #13 of 19

Yes, I saw that program that was interesting and I also loved grand prizewinner cake. I was hoping with that and they won.
That was nice theme and story was also nice behind that.

And third place guy was experienced person and I dont believe how come he didnt know that 3 foot height required rule. Thats funny but his cake was superb.

I saw wedding cake challenge before and that was also nice.
And you know there is another nice program coming on named Sugar Rush".
I think that is on 26th of Oct. That will be on every week.

I love food network.

Thanks
Nitu

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 6:34pm
post #14 of 19

I really enjoyed the show. I think I agree with the winning lineup.

I just wish they would slow down the camera movement and us a minute to really see the cakes both overall and closeup. I have noticed on all these Challenges that they do not seem to focus on the finished product very well. Of course, maybe we are the only ones who want to focus that closely on the details! LOL

Cindy

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 6:41pm
post #15 of 19

does anyone know if it's playing on food network CANADA???

..i would really hate to miss out on this one..so far i've only seen the wedding cake challenge and it's so exciting i will watch it again and again... icon_biggrin.gif

duckduck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duckduck Posted 18 Oct 2005 , 7:31pm
post #16 of 19

adven68, it's by invitation but they are always looking for new talent.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 5:07am
post #17 of 19

Whoohoo!! I watched it last night and saw myself and my daughter in the audience at least 5 times. Hee hee! I'm so silly. I sat up close to my tv just to see if I could pick myself out of the crowd. icon_lol.gif

It was nice to hear the commentary along with the show because when we actually went to this event/taping, they don't do a whole lot of talking other than announcing how much time is left and a small bit of background on each decorater.

KimAZ

duckduck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
duckduck Posted 22 Oct 2005 , 8:39pm
post #18 of 19

I saw a few of my buds in this one. icon_cool.gif I'll be looking for myself in the daredevil sugar competition. I'm the one with the blue hair. icon_lol.gif

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 23 Oct 2005 , 6:37pm
post #19 of 19

Caught the end of the show and saw all the finished pieces. Was not wowed by any of them, but they were interesting. My family and I could not tell what the under the sea one was supposed to be. My 5yr old dd hesitantly suggested that "it was supposed to look under the sea like sponge bob." I thought it was a desert. icon_razz.gif I thought the cupcake flowers on stems was a nice idea but just needed to be better planned. I really related to the baker who pretty much said her bakery was about good tasting cupcakes and not extravagant decorations. I guess she just entered for the exposure.

I would luv to see a cake challenge along the lines of the Iron Chef. No bringing premade stuff to the contest and you have to work with what they give you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%