I'm Giving The Cake Decorating Up?

Business By dtmc Updated 5 Feb 2007 , 2:45pm by bizcocho

dtmc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dtmc Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 51

I'm very emotional right now with this whole cake decorating. I have been trying to start a cake business for a year now and only 5 cake orders. I have been giving away freebies like there is no tomorrow. Everytime people ask for a quote I never hear back from them. Even my family still expects free cakes at any occasion. I even had a girl ask me to do a 5 tier cake for her wedding for 250 people and I quoted her $350 plus delivery and she said I was crazy....never heard from her again. I have done free cake tastings for brides and still no orders. I just had a girl ask about one of Duff's cake for her daughters sweet 16 party in July...a whimiscal cake with the crystals hanging from it. She said she would probably pay me $50.00 for it. Duff would charge like $500 for it!!! She thinks $50 was more than enough. I don't know...I give up. I love doing cakes...I love this website it inspires me everyday. But I can't afford to be doing freebies all the time. I won't do anymore free cakes anymore!!!! So I guess I will only decorate form my kids. Sorry to rant....again...I said I was emotional about this.

Thanks for listening!

50 replies
aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 51

I totally understand your frustration!!! It's just now starting to pick a a smidgen for orders for me, don't know what's going to happen after this weekend, but I'm going to keep practicing!!

1. DON"T GIVE UP!! Just keep practicing!!

2. Seems like you might need to change your demographics!! In other words; DON"T DEAL WITH CHEAP PEOPLE who aren't willing to pay you what you deserve!! I tell people my prices and if they don't like them, I just pray God brings someone else my way.

I don't get people, they want to pay 50.00 for a whimsical cake, but the base price for a wedding cake at Wal Mart is 125.00; do they balk at that??? icon_mad.gif And 350.00 for a 5-tiered wedding cake for 250 people????? That lady is crazy!!!

BTW, you cakes are GORGEOUS!!! Wish I was as talented as you!!!

lmevans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lmevans Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:42pm
post #3 of 51

Awww, I'm sorry! Here's some Big hugs for you. Take a few deep breaths. I dont have any advice because I'm just starting out and dont think I could ever make a business out of this. I'm sorry youre going through this.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 51

I am really sorry you feel the way you do, but I can see why. Do you still work outside the home? Maybe your relatives or friends could put the word out for you. I don't blame you about the free cakes, you can't keep just giving away cakes. Were you giving away whole cakes? I just give away small slices when I bake something new and it draws new business. The people that I work with that never buy anything and just want free cake don't get any. icon_lol.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:44pm
post #5 of 51

I just checked out your cakes and you are very talented. There is no reason for you to give your cakes away. Some people will just take advantage of you if they can.

I have been decorating for almost 2 years and nowhere near as talented as you. I get most of my orders from coworkers and friends. I have given away countless cakes, mostly just because I love to bake. I think I still undercharge on some things, but I am not doing this as a career. I probably make 3-4 cakes per month, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Are you licensed? If not, maybe that is why they think you will make cakes for a song. I am not licensed, but I still want to get something for my time and effort.

Don't give up on your dream. Maybe someone on this site can offer you some advice. I hope so because your cakes are beautiful!!

Good luck!!
Cindy

SweetTreatsbyCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTreatsbyCarol Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 51

I'm sorry for your disappointment, dear. The wedding cake I made for a friend recently wasn't all that it could have been, but I did it for free mostly because I had no idea what to charge. While a cake business may not be totally out of the question for you, maybe now is just not the time for it to happen.

Please don't give up the enthusiasm and I hope you continue enjoying CC as we all need each other's support. Maybe you should direct your excitement for cake decorating in a different direction for the time being...try a design that seems to be a bit challenging, take a new cake class (gum paste fondant is Wilton's newest class) or go shopping and buy yourself some new gadgets for your kitchen--heaven knows that's always exciting to me!! Another thought I have, maybe consider becoming a Wilton Instructor for a time. Any or all of those ideas are just my suggestions; I'm sure you can think of something that might strike your interest with the skills you currently have and go from there. Next thing you know, someone will probably be asking you to make cakes for them and let you name your price icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:51pm
post #7 of 51

Your cakes are beautiful and you should not have to give them away for free. People are always into getting a deal and don't really understand the work that goes into baking and custom decorating cakes. Hang in there! As others have said, maybe it is the demographics and I know that family tends to want or expect "free" cakes. You shouldn't have to give up something you love just because people are cheap. Are you licensed and/or trying to do this as a business or a hobby? Don't give up! You have a great talent for this. icon_smile.gif

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 51

Sorry you are feeling that way. Please keep your decorating spirits up! One thing that you might do is some "secret shopping". Go and price out the competition. Go to them and see what they are charging. Give them real cake situations. Or just ask to meet with the owner and network. If these people think that they are going to get a better price somewhere else, then you will already know. Also, sell them on your quality, ie; fresh ingredients etc. And yes, like cindy6250 said, are you licensed etc? That would also give you an edge. You can also tell them, it is not just flour, sugar and eggs, there is WAY more to it! GOOD LUCK!

moralna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moralna Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 4:14pm
post #9 of 51

We can all understand your frustration becasue we have all been there. I have learned not to take it to heart, because though I am very new to all of this, it is what I love to do and I am going to give it my best shot. You are very talented and should never shortchange yourself for any reason. I have learned that when someone comments that a cake is too expensive, i just smile at them and say I completely understand their point of view and i might feel the same way as they do if i didn't know better what it takes to personalize, create and decorate a cake that will reflect not only the customer's taste but the customer themselves - from the decoration to the flavor of the cake and the flavor of the icing. Then i let them take it from there, if they want to order, that's fine - if not, it is a little disappointing, but I get over it and eventually someone else comes along that thinks they are worth it. Don't give up; it takes time - i am still working hard and hoping one day to get my big breakicon_smile.gif

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 51

I've been decorating cakes for a good 10 years, and for me, it's just a great hobby that pays for itself. I'm not licensed, as I can't afford to renovate my home or rent out space. I once had dreams of ditching my "day job" and doing this fulltime. But I have gotten to realize this just isn't possible for me. I am content to experiment, and to bake cakes for the family and friends that want them. And I NEVER give them away. I don't charge a ton, but no way am I giving them for free. Then my hobby wouldn't pay for itself!

Penny36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Penny36 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 51

I have just started my cake business and i have had people that i don't charge enough. You have to remeber when people go to the bakery they are willing to pay top dollar. Why not pay you top dollar. I'm sure you are more than worth it. Don't give up, and tell the cheap people PEACE and to go somewhere else and pay just as much for something that probably won't be as good as yours.
Do you thing girl. Don't give up.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmc

I just had a girl ask about one of Duff's cake for her daughters sweet 16 party in July...a whimiscal cake with the crystals hanging from it. She said she would probably pay me $50.00 for it. Duff would charge like $500 for it!!!

try adding a 1 to the 500. i've heard them quote prices on similar cakes before and i remember a 4 tier cake similar to that going for 1500.

what a shame about the bride who said you were crazy for the quote of 350. OH MY GOODNESS!!! she was crazy not to understand that you were basically giving that one away!

i am sorry to hear how stressful this if for you. tons of us understand how you feel, just dont stop enjoying what you do whether you do it once a year or every day.

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 6:51pm
post #13 of 51

OH Don't give up.
I first think that bride was CRAZY!! That was a fabulous price you gave her. Like I just said in another post....People want cakes for free..AHHH NO!!
I would say..stop passing out free cakes. If they know you are just goin to donate one...why would they pay?
It is all word of mouth...Don't worry..it will come. Do you have buisness cards? I found when I send out my cakes ...I put one on the box and at the party someone always takes it. Sometimes they ask me for more when they pick up the cake.
Your cakes are fabulous...Don't worry!! Soon, you may be too busy and wish you weren't...hehe.
Good luck!!

valora387 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
valora387 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 6:52pm
post #14 of 51

Hang in there and keep your spirits up!!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 6:55pm
post #15 of 51

You are a very talented decorator and your skills should not go to waste. It always amazes me (like aundron) that people want to look at a decorator and say " I can get it at Walmart cheaper!" A five tiered wedding cake for 250 people is most certainly worth $350.00.

PLUS...you are in Phoenix, AZ!!!! Not Madisonville, or Fredonia or Possum Trot, KY! I say that because your geographical area sometimes affects what you can charge for your cakes. I can tell you this, though, even people in KY would expect to pay $350.00 for that wedding cake! Oh yeah and the Whimsical Cake.....tell her to call Duff and ask to get it for $50.00!! PEOPLE ARE CRAZY!!

Put yourself on a one month "Sweet Sabbatical". Don't bake, decorate or THINK about a cake! THEN, you can have a fresh outlook!

GOOD LUCK And DON'T GIVE UP!!

Beth in KY

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 6:56pm
post #16 of 51

Don't give up or let cheap people tell you what you and and your work is worth!!! TRUST ME! It can be discouraging, and a little insulting when people "suggest" pricing for you, but you are worth more than that.

Your moment will come. You are too talented to give it up. There will always be cheap people out there that frustrate us, but you'll have orders coming your way. Family isn't the best way to go, sometimes, either. You never know where your orders are going to come from.

Stay motivated. You ARE worth it.

Angie

dtmc Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:02pm
post #17 of 51

Thank you for all your sweet advice and kind words. I really love this site, we really do support each other. I guess I needed these kind words. I do love making cakes and I love the challenges in new cakes. I do have business cards that I pass out once in awhile. I am not licensed but I would love to be if I can get more business to justify the getting licensed part. Anyway, thank you again for all your kind words. You made me smile and that is what I really needed. I am just going to concentrate on making my mom's 60th birthday cake for next month and not worry about anything else for awhile.

THANK YOU MY FRIENDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiffany icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:03pm
post #18 of 51

Your cakes are great! It does take awhile to get your name out. At first I started just friends, family, and word of mouth and I was giving away pretty cheap cakes.

Then we moved to a higher priced area and I gradually upped my prices and got my name out little by little with my website and word of mouth. After four years I am just now starting to get a decent amount of calls...but still I wouldn't say I am swamped... I'd say 5 cakes in a month would be considered a "busy" month for me.

I quote prices per serving since that's how weddings are priced...and I do my novelty cakes the same way. I think that breaks it down for people a little better than just a lump sum, and shows them the math....a fancy 3D fondant cake is $4/serving...and if they need that for 40 people, well they can do the math and see if they want the cake. There ARE people who will pay anything you ask if you can make them a cake like nobody else can....you just have to find them...and eventually, they will come! Chin up! And don't settle for less!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:09pm
post #19 of 51

I think you are selling to the wrong people. Your cakes are amazing and it would definitly be a great loss to lose a decorator with the talent that you have.

Don't give up, sell to people who want to pay for quality instead of those that that want Tiffany quality at Dollar store prices.

slb1956 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slb1956 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:10pm
post #20 of 51

Hi
I really know how you feel. I've been decorating now for two years. Have sold some..but mostly give-aways to family.. and work.. I finally quit doing that.. and yep, no requests.. Well, the other day. work brought in a cake for January Birthdays ..from some bakery store..the day after or such.. I heard the manager being told that from now on ..I should be the one to make the cakes..because they are much tastier. She asked me what I thought of the cake brought ..I said.. I'm spoiled by my cakes..that one had a cardboard flavor... So perhaps i just takes stopping freebies to make people realize how good your cakes are... Don't give up your cakes look great..

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:13pm
post #21 of 51

I'm sorry you are having such a rough time. I live in the Phoenix area too (Scottsdale) and it seems like there would be a lot of competition here (how many wedding expo's can there be in one year?). I think in Scottsdale there might be a little more demand for specialty cakes (due to income, and the fact that there are A LOT of country club weddings out here), do you have a friend that lives in this area who knows people (I don't)? If this is something you are really passionate about I suggest you take a break from it to recalculate where you want to go with it. I am not experienced in cake decorating, but I'm experienced in life and I find when I get really fed up and frustrated with something, taking a step back for a while helps immensely. So I think your idea of just doing cakes for your kids for a while is a great one. Your cakes are beautiful, and definately worth the price you are asking for. This might turn out to be a good year for you anyway. There are going to be a lot of 7/7/07 weddings this year, and brides will be clamoring for cakes. Maybe something will come through then. icon_wink.gif

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:13pm
post #22 of 51

Next time anyone tells you you're crazy because of your pricing tell them:

"What if your boss told you he was paying you $50 for three days work would you do it?"

OR, "Hey, if it was easy you'd be doing the cake yourself."

OR, "Go to Walmart."

OR, laugh back at them and say, "Yeah, I'm crazy I should be charging more, but I'm cutting you a break."

OR, "Cake is a luxury not a necessity."

Hmm..any other I can think of I'll post back. thumbs_up.gif Keep decorating don't let them get you down!

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:16pm
post #23 of 51

I agree with onceuponacake, but I would go a step further and let people know that they will get what they pay for and if they want a cheap cake then it will definately look and taste cheap.

mcchick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcchick Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:19pm
post #24 of 51

You are sooooo talented. Your cakes are just beautiful! I payed over $600 for a fairly simple 3 tier wedding cake for 125 people (it was beautiful, delicious and worth every penny!) and that was almost 8 yrs ago. The lady who scoffed at $350 didn't realize what a great deal she would have been getting. I'm not the best at decorating since I don't have much time to practice (3 kids under age 5), but I know a beautiful cake when I see one, and my dear yours are just that! Hang in there! thumbs_up.gif

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:20pm
post #25 of 51

I agree with everyone else. Your cakes are gorgeous and you are very talented. It's very disappointing dealing with people who want something for nothing. Hang in there.

Susan

dtmc Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:33pm
post #26 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceuponacake

Next time anyone tells you you're crazy because of your pricing tell them:

"What if your boss told you he was paying you $50 for three days work would you do it?"

OR, "Hey, if it was easy you'd be doing the cake yourself."

OR, "Go to Walmart."

OR, laugh back at them and say, "Yeah, I'm crazy I should be charging more, but I'm cutting you a break."

OR, "Cake is a luxury not a necessity."

Hmm..any other I can think of I'll post back. thumbs_up.gif Keep decorating don't let them get you down!

I LOVE IT....I WILL REMEMBER THAT THE NEXT TIME!!!

THANKS YOU GUYS....YOU ALL ARE VERY SWEET WITH YOUR WORDS OF KINDNESS....I REALLY APPRECIATE THIS WEBSITE AND SUPPORT!

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:35pm
post #27 of 51

your cakes are beautiful....please don't give up cake decorating, you would be depriving us of beautiful c`akes to look at =p

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:43pm
post #28 of 51

You have a talent that cannot be denied. Your cakes are gorgeous. If people want quality they will smarten up and pay what you ask them to. Good Luck!!

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:43pm
post #29 of 51

Your cakes are BEAUTIFUL. don't give up! If you are licensed, I would suggest to really put your name out there. Bridal fairs are starting. Hang in there and remember you are selling a QUALITY product. I think $350 for that cake was a REAL bargain.

hsdwidow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsdwidow Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 7:45pm
post #30 of 51

I always think it's interesting how people are sticker shocked by cakes that take days to prepare from start to finish, but ask them how much they are willing to pay to go out to dinner for two with drinks for only an hour. They'd probably be spending more than the cake and no one would have taken a picture of their meals like people do with the cakes icon_wink.gif
And yes, your cakes are GORGEOUS. Take a deep breath and get back to it when you're ready. Good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%