Cracks In Icing...how Do I Stop This?

Decorating By mcglass Updated 3 Feb 2007 , 2:47pm by kchart

mcglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcglass Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 12

Every cake I have ever made ends up having big cracks in the icing! I'm using the wilton buttercream recipe from the class. I'm also using the viva paper towel to smooth it. There always ends up being cracks all over the top of the cake when I move the board, no matter how I carry it! What am I doing wrong?

11 replies
mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 12

I bet your board is not strong enought to support the cake. Are you just using one of the cake boards? I use the foam board for my cakes now they are alot stronger and end up costing about the same. If the cake is very heavy I put masonite with a foam board on top.
Melissa

cakesbycombs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycombs Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:02pm
post #3 of 12

do you ice your cakes when they are frozen? sometimes when the cake thaws, i think it expands and that can cause cracks. you can also buy double-wall cardboard cake boards that are twice as thick as regular. they are twice as expensive too though so i only use them on 1/2 sheet or bigger

mcglass Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:17pm
post #4 of 12

I am using the Wilton cardboard boards. I've only made 9x13 and the next size up from 9x13. Could it have something to do with the way I'm smoothing it? Like it's not crusted over enough when I do it? Or my icing is too thick on the cake? It's so frustrating!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:22pm
post #5 of 12

I think it's the board as well. Try using 2 boards or a cake drum or you can even use foam board.
Jacqui

lkuptain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkuptain Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:30pm
post #6 of 12

I definitely think it's the board. I had that problem when I was only using the Wilton boards, they are just way too thin for anything big... usually use two pieces of masonite board glued together to make an extra strong board if I have a really big cake, foam board also works pretty well on a 9x13 cake. I'm sure you're icing it correctly, especially if it looks good before you move it!

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 12

It's the board! Especially on a sheet cake. As soon as you pick up the cake, the board gives a little and the cake does, too creating the cracks in the icing. Especilly because it's a crusting recipe.

Definitely use a thicker board. Either double the boards, or use the foam core boards that were suggested. Decorate your cake with the boards underneath, so when you move your cake, there won't be any bowing when you pick up your cake.

The same thing happened to me the first time I made a sheet cake. I worked so hard on that thing, and as soon as I went to pick it up...CRACKS. I nearly cried.

Good luck!
Angie

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:32pm
post #8 of 12

I've heard to add a little bit of vinegar to your icing to prevent cracks - if it's not the board. I know I get cracks a lot and it's not my boards..... I just added like 1/2 tsp. - 1 tsp. of vinegar to my batch of Buttercream Dream. Didn't change the flavor a bit. Haven't been home to see the cakes yet to see if they have any cracks, but I've heard that it works in the past. I"ll try to let you know.

Good luck.

mcglass Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks everybody! I'll try your suggestions!

kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 6:41pm
post #10 of 12

where do you get foam boards?

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 2:57am
post #11 of 12

Michaels or Hobby Lobby. They come in a sheet and you just cut them with a exacto knife.

kchart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kchart Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 2:47pm
post #12 of 12

thanks!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%