Onesie Cake

Decorating By myboysmommy Updated 6 Feb 2007 , 2:25pm by myboysmommy

myboysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myboysmommy Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 12:45am
post #1 of 13

Hi,

Has anyone ever made a onesie cake? I am about to host a baby shower and my SIL wants me to make a onesie cake for the shower. I have never seen a picture of one. She says it is in the shape of a short sleeved onesie bodysuit.

Do you think I should bake a sheet cake and carve sleeves out of a smaller cake pan? Any thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks
Cindy

12 replies
heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 12:59am
post #2 of 13

If I were making a cake shaped like a onesie I would just take a onsie trace it onto a piece of card board and use that for my pattern lay it over a sheet cake and cut it out. I'm not sure if that would work being as I have never done that but it seems like it would. sorry I couldnt be much more help.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:03am
post #3 of 13

Hi and welcome. If you go to the "galleries" section of this site and search with the word "onesie", you'll see quite a few examples. I think most people are carving it from a sheet cake.

Goof luck! thumbs_up.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:06am
post #4 of 13

Maybe you could PM someone that has already done one....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-90604.html

Danishwiz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danishwiz Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:14am
post #5 of 13

Hi, here is a link for a onesie pattern. I used this one and it worked really well.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=Onesie&cat=0&pos=46&search=Onesie

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:22am
post #6 of 13

i haven't made a onesie yet. but i did a baptism dress. I looked for a baptism dress card online, printed it, then i blew it up. If you have access to a printer with 11x17 paper that will due. it was the only way for me to get it the size i wanted it.

myboysmommy Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 13

Wow! Thanks for making me feel so welcome! I love this place already.

Thanks for pointing out the gallery to me. I had no idea there were so many pictures of onesie cakes. And even a pattern to use. I am so excited to make it!

I will post my picture as soon as I get done this weekend. No laughing! It is my first cake decorating experience.
icon_biggrin.gif

Cindy

myboysmommy Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 2:56pm
post #8 of 13

Here is my version of the onesie cake. I ended up using a 9X13 cake pan because that was the largest I had. My mom was my cheerleader. She loves cake decorating. She gave me tips as I battled it out.

I definitely need to take the Wilton classes. But I don't think it is too bad for a first try.

Enjoy!

Cindy
LL

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 13

Actually your onesie is really cute!! Great Job!

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 3:47pm
post #10 of 13

If you look under 'Cambo's photos...She has done quite a few. And she always explains herself on how she does them.
I believe she said it is a 9x13 she cuts off for the legs and those are the sleves...Don't forget to post after..Can't wait to see it!!

myboysmommy Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 13

Thanks newbeebaker and nicoles-a-tryin for your comments. It might of been a little confusing, but the picture above is of my onesie cake. Sorry if I confused you.

My mind is churning with ideas for my next cake. Boy, this is addicting! An artform in itself.

I even found a cake contest to enter it in. Yippee!

Cindy

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 5 Feb 2007 , 9:17pm
post #12 of 13

OH duh? a little late I guess then.....
Yours is fabulous!! Wonderful job!!!!

myboysmommy Posted 6 Feb 2007 , 2:25pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you! You are sweet!

Cindy

Quote by @%username% on %date%