Lemon Cake And Orange Cake

Baking By mspeed Updated 31 Mar 2007 , 1:12am by arosstx

mspeed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mspeed Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 3:16am
post #1 of 17

We have a bride to be that wants to taste test a lemon flavored cake and an orange flavored cake for her wedding. Does anyone have recipes for these two flavors. I usually like a dense and moist cake but am willing to try everything icon_smile.gif . The tasting is in 2 days. Thanks.

16 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 6:56am
post #2 of 17

Duncan Hines makes a very good orange cake & probably a lemon too. (Lemon is not one of my favorites so I've never looked.)

Anyway, if you adapt the ingredients for the White Almond Sour Cream cake - you'll have a great cake:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2322-White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Cake.html

HTH

jamhays Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamhays Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:08am
post #3 of 17

DH has an orange dreamscicle cake that's pretty good, IMO. Of course, you could doctor it up a bit if you wanted to make it more unique.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:11am
post #4 of 17

DH also has a lemon cake.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 7:11am
post #5 of 17

I have used a yellow cake, replaced the liquid with orange juice and added the zest of the orange- delicious.

mspeed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mspeed Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 17

Thank you all for the help. I was wondering if anyone had a from scratch recipe. I like using a cake that is dense. The cake mixes seem a little bit too light and crumbly at times. Thanks icon_smile.gif

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 8 Feb 2007 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 17

I put a lemon cake mix and a white cake mix together and used 6 egg whites, the required amount of oil and water and just a splash of lemon extract. It was lighter than the lemon cake mix by itself, and really delicious. I filled it with lemon curd spread thinly and a layer of Bavarian cream with lemon curd mixed in, ice in IMBC. People were coming back for seconds and in some cases, thirds. You could add some lemon zest to the mixes as well.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 9 Feb 2007 , 12:33am
post #8 of 17

it's not scratch, but try Margie's lemon cake

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2383-Margies-Lemon-Cake-Recipe.html

I haven't made this one, but my mom made the Margie's Incredible Chocolate Cake and the recipes are very similar. It is a moist, dense incredibly tasty cake...

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 1:00pm
post #9 of 17

ShirleyW - OMG that sound so yummy. I'll have to try that some time.

grami948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grami948 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 17

I'm new to the forum & openly admit that I'm *not* one who knows a thing about decorating cakes. I just love baking cakes from scracth for my family & have found all of you to be such great people with tons of talent that I'll never possess. That said, I have an orange cake recipe from scratch that was handed down from my grandmother. I found it in her handwritten recipes & have made it many times when my children were younger.... & my own diet wasn't so restricted! icon_razz.gif This cake is *very* dense & I questio if it is best for layers. Likely a trial run of this would be best to get a "feel" for texture or any tweaking you might care to do. thumbs_up.gif Please forgive me if this isn't a suitable recipe for this forum as I'm learning about the site as I go along.

Orange Cake

3/4 cup shortening (I always used margarine or butter which worked fine)
1 1/2 cup sugar
3 beaten egg yolks
3 stiffly beaten egg whites
2 1/4 cups cake flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 1/2 tsp. baking powder
3/4 cup cold water
1/4 cup orange juice

Preheat oven to 350º

Grease & flour 9x13 pan (or equivilent sized pans)

Cream shortening & sugar

Add egg yolks & beat well

Add sifted dry ingredients alternating with water and orange juice

Fold in egg whites

Bake for 30 - 35 minutes

Hopefully this is a decent recipe for someone at some time.

usaribbon.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 7:59pm
post #11 of 17

My better than scratch lemon box mix cake recipe has been posted on this board before - it is not crumbly at all, comes out moist and just the right amount of density for stacking or carving.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 17

The Cake Doctor book has a great orange creamcicle cake recipe.

Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 17

I've made the Duncan Hines Lemon Cake and it is wonderful and moist-I used the "lemon Icing" recipe off of this website and it was too die for-the customer and her family loved it and I made one for my family and they request it all the time now!!

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 8:10pm
post #14 of 17

prterrell, where is your recipe on CC? I can't find it!!!

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 8:13pm
post #15 of 17

I have a dense scratch recipe, but I'm at work now. If you PM me and send me a reminder. I will share it with you when I get home.

Myra

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 28 Mar 2007 , 8:23pm
post #16 of 17

A lemon box mix, made like normal but with the addition of a box of lemon pudding (3.4 oz, I think) makes the cake dense and incredible moist. I just made one, but with two boxes of pudding on accident, and it still came out great!
Crissy usaribbon.gif

arosstx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arosstx Posted 31 Mar 2007 , 1:12am
post #17 of 17

oh yummy, thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%