How Do You Stack?

Decorating By flayvurdfun Updated 9 Mar 2005 , 7:44am by flayvurdfun

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 7:42am
post #1 of 6

I know how to stack dont get me wrong, but was wondering how everyone else gets one layer on top of another without the cake breaking, or cracking etc......

5 replies
m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 6

Very carefull icon_lol.gif Just kidding.
If they are small enough I can just lift them up carefully with my hands and place the layers on. If it's larger I slide a cake board underneath to pick it up and then slide the layer off of cake board. If the cake layer is on the cooling rack and the rack is not too big, you could probably slide it off of the cooling rack right onto the cake.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 6

Wilton makes this huge, very thin cookie sheet. I bought one during a half price sale at Hobby Lobby. I only use it to lift/place/slide layers of cake into place. I've heard of others using pizza paddles. I like the cookie sheet because it's so large and thin. You can get really close to your bottom layer while sliding on the next layer. This keeps it from breaking.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 8 Mar 2005 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 6

I too just use my hands. I use a large wide spatula to push on the cardboard the cake is sitting on and slide it to the edge of my work surface and then I use my fingers to guide it the rest of the way into my hands and carefully place it on top. The higher the cake the more difficult it is to make sure each layer is centered. This is when I just use extreme balance and step up on a step stool to place additional layers. Just practice different techniques and stick with what works best for you.

Amy

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 5:48am
post #5 of 6

Hey Flayvurdfun,

I stacked my first cake tonight... I forgot my spatula so I used what was in the kitchen at the FD. All I could find were 2 huge butcher knives!!! They worked pretty good. At home I would have used my huge spatual I use to icing the cakes. I'm fixing to post a topic about the practice wedding cake so make sure you take a looksee. I will hopefully have pics to put on here by tomorrow~

~TC~

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 9 Mar 2005 , 7:44am
post #6 of 6

I have pampered chef thing that looks like a round stone but is two pieces that you use to get up food rings from the stone and place on something else. I may try that. I just see the cakes bending in the middle as I bring the top layer over the bottom layer. Only one broke but that was because I was in a hurry and tried to stack while it was still a tad bit warm.....
DUH icon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%