How Much To Charge For This Cake?

Decorating By chubbycheeks Updated 2 Feb 2007 , 2:02am by southrnhearts

chubbycheeks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chubbycheeks Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 20

I've never done a wedding cake, but someone has asked me to do this one that I've attached, withouth the bow. How much would you charge?? And, it has no fancy fillings, just a pound cake recipe that she's requested with BC icing.
LL

19 replies
ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 20

If it's buttercream and not fondant I would probably charge $5.00 per serving.
Jacqui

onceuponacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onceuponacake Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:13pm
post #3 of 20

that is a beautiful cake!! lots of piping work minimum $4.00 per serving

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 20

Come up with a price per person you want to charge. It will mainly go by your area. Then just multiply that amount by the number the cakes serve.

I would research the prices in your area and come up with a middle price.

Personally, I would have to charge more for all the detail.

The price per person you want to charge for wedding cakes keep in mind when they want filling charge extra per person.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 20

no fillings, no flowers, no bows...just that scroll work,

a dream come true if you ask me.

it would definitely get my base price...2 per serving.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 20

This pattern is quite intricate AND has a fondant/gumpaste bow and ribbon. I would charge no less than $5.00/serving. Having said that, in MY area......NO ONE WOULD PAY THAT!!! LOLL

Beth in KY

Nitu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nitu Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 20

I have no idea but this cake is very beautiful!

Nitu

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:18pm
post #8 of 20

Sorry! Just saw that there was NO BOW!!! Brings my price down to $4.50/serving! and STILL no one in my area would pay that! LOL

Beth

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:54pm
post #9 of 20

Probably $4.00 per serving. It's really too complex. And since it's going to be missing the bow and all and it's just a simple pound cake w/ BC. thumbs_up.gif

chubbycheeks Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 8:37pm
post #10 of 20

Thanks ladies!! LOL All4Cake, I probably couldn't ask for an easier 1st time wedding cake. icon_smile.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:01am
post #11 of 20

chubbycheeks, that is exactly what I was thinkin'! daaaaaaaaaaaang! they should all be so simple!

swingme83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swingme83 Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:08am
post #12 of 20

wow this is gorgeous. i wouldnt know baout pricing becuase i always undercharge but i would charge $2 a piece. I want to attempt to make this cake just cause its so pretty.

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:16am
post #13 of 20

I say way to go to the bride on picking something so easy for you...I LOVE scrollworl!!! LOL am i nuts? Its soooooo my 'thing' and it makes every cake look very elegant...What size layers are you making, by the way??

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 4:30am
post #14 of 20

May not be filling, bows or flowers but all the scroll work is going to be a lot of work. Whew! It's one beautiful cake though. Wow!

chubbycheeks Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:44pm
post #15 of 20

It's for 80 - 100 people, so I was thinking 14", 10" and 6". Does that sound about right?

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 9:21pm
post #16 of 20

I'm doing this cake for wedding too, but it's for 200 people, and she wants the bow. I told her $5 per serving, and thank goodness they were happy with that price. I was shocked, but hey i'll take it! And it looks like so much fun to do!
I'm not sure on the pan sizes, so i'm curious too on what sizes you would use.

Delicate-Lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delicate-Lee Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 9:54pm
post #17 of 20

Is that how you all cost your cakes by the serving? I would charge what ever you charge for just a 3 tier plan cake and then for how ever long it will take you to pipe all the detail on.
Does that work out to be the same if you were to cost it out per serving?
If I did that I would get brides come back and say that they want one less slice etc just to make it cheaper. When really it would take you the same amount of time.

baergarivera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baergarivera Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 10:02pm
post #18 of 20

WELL YOU HAVE TO TAKE ACCOUNT WHAT ARE YOU SPENDING, ARE THERE ANY FILLINGS, AND ALL THE SCROW WORK AND BOW. NEW YORK SIDE THAT WOULD GO FOR $750-850 HERE IN CT/NY

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 10:15pm
post #19 of 20

You may find this thread helpful:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-65373.html

As I said in that thread, $5.00 - $6.00/serving. That scrollwork is very intricate and will take a lot of time. Plus, this is *skilled* work...it's not like they could pluck any person off the street, offer them minimum wage, and get a gorgeous cake. Don't undervalue yourself.

According to Earlene's chart http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm, a 14, 10, 6 is 95 servings without the top tier. I love the look of those sizes together.

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 2:02am
post #20 of 20

hmmm I guess we serve big ol' cake slices here in the South, because I'd step up the sizes a lil bit...I dont go by the ''wilton'' guide...just MHO

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%