Bartering Anyone?

Decorating By kthomas Updated 9 Oct 2005 , 10:42pm by bonnscakesAZ

kthomas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kthomas Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 13

Okay CC'ers,

I am curious to see if any of you barter your cakes/cookies in exchange for a professional service. At my local hair salon, I now get a haircut and highlights for free all the time , in exchange for doing my hairstylist's 2 children's bday cakes each year - I love it!

I would like to hear of your bartering or discounts, if any!

12 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 13

I have a lady that sells makeup to me and we do this all the time ... nothing wrong with bartering between businesses... it's been done for decades icon_smile.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 13

I trade services with my hairdresser too!!! She cuts my families hair and colors mine (shhh don't tell) and I go to her house once a month and pick up her dog, groom it, and return it to her.

My first cake "sell" I traded a girl her sons b-day cake for a bike for my son. You guessed it her son got a new bike for his b-day.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 13

I haven't done that yet, but certainly wouldn't be against it!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 10:27pm
post #5 of 13

My family decided a few years ago that there would be no more gifts at Christmas. I am the youngest of 3 kids and I'm 30 now, so there's nothing anyone really needs as we all have our own families.

Instead, we exchange "services". My sister is a chef and makes everyone a gorgeous selection of frozen soups to enjoy for the winter, my mother knits us all hats & mits, my brother has an amazing cottage up in Northern Ontario that we each enjoy for a week in the summer, my dad is a wine-maker and gives us bottles and bottles...and I give everyone a gift certificate for 3 birthday cakes or a wedding cake that year. They LOVE to be able to give their friends the wedding cake as their gift!

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 11:37pm
post #6 of 13

Wow, the trading cakes for haircuts must be popular, LOL. I do that too. I traded a huge yu-gi-oh cake to my friend in exchange she cuts my families hair. (she is also a good friend) I am in the process of making her a Harley birthday cake for tomorrow (it's her birthday).

I wish I knew other people to trade services with, it works out great!

jdogga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdogga Posted 8 Oct 2005 , 11:55pm
post #7 of 13

I do the hair thing too! It usually costs me about $160.00 for my hair and now I just make cakes for her and I get it for free! What a great thing we all have going for us eh!

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 5:35pm
post #8 of 13

I love to barter...that's how I got Barbie's hair done at the beautician.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 13

antonia74 -

I think that is a wonderful idea!

Wish I had a regular stylist I could exchange services with!

edencakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edencakes Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 6:24pm
post #10 of 13

Wow, I need to jump on the bandwagon here... I just might have to search for some people to trade with!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:33pm
post #11 of 13

Dang, I need to approach my hairdresser.

My best cake barter was a huge wedding cake for a man's daugher in exchange for several intense weekends of doing some structural work in our house (opening up a load-bearing wall between the dining and living rooms), constructing a fish room for my 180 gallon saltwater coral tank, and redoing my kitchen cabinets and tile. icon_biggrin.gif Tell me who came out ahead in that deal! LOL

melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 13

Me and my sister do the same thing, I make her birthday cakes, and any other special occasions. And I get free scrapbooking supplies from her! She sells Creative Memories. It is an ongoing deal, this month I didn't have to make my motorcycle payment to her, because I did 2 cakes for her.

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 9 Oct 2005 , 10:42pm
post #13 of 13

I have done this for help at trade shows ( I give cake credit they can use anytime or any type of cake), I also did it to get someone to redo my site for me. My bride actually asked me about it and I had been needing it updated. So yea I am all about that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%