What Kind Of Vines/greens For Rustic Cake Decoration..

Decorating By Minileo Updated 20 May 2024 , 5:07am by Minileo

Minileo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minileo Posted 15 May 2024 , 4:04am
post #1 of 13

Hello my fellow bakers,

I am asked to decorate a wedding cake similar to this. I was wondering what kind of vine is that. Is it natural or faux? I can find faux rustic vines with leaves but couldn't find any which is dried and without leaves. I don't even know what to call them. Where do you buy them from? Any help is appreciated. 

Thank you so much!

12 replies
Minileo Posted 15 May 2024 , 4:13am
post #2 of 13
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 15 May 2024 , 9:44pm
post #4 of 13

You just have to detangle them.... and the difficult part how to sanitize them in order to place on top of a cake....

Minileo Posted 15 May 2024 , 10:19pm
post #5 of 13

Hello @ReginaCoeliB

I thought of these as my 1st option and I even tried molding in the shape I want, unfortunately they are so dry and brittle that they tend to break. Still, thank you so much for your input.

Minileo Posted 15 May 2024 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 13

Could anyone tell me if the vines/greens are real/fake or mix and match and what do you call it?

1st cake picture in the link.

Thank you!

http://blog.theweddingofmydreams.co.uk/2019/10/enchanting-woodland-wedding-cakes/

ReginaCoeliB Posted 16 May 2024 , 12:18am
post #7 of 13

It seems to be a mix of fake ones. Did you try soaking the vines in warm water to see if the soften? Based on the tendrils and buds in the vine, no doubt they are grape ones. You might be able to find green fresh real ones....

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 May 2024 , 8:20pm
post #8 of 13

Daisies & Poppies Cake 5-28-2016 - CakeCentral.com

use full width floral tape wrapping on long floral wire, add a little gumpaste. Alan Dunn has some tutorials on how to make stuff like that. Brilliant decorator. 

It's also helpful to understand that most of those photo shoots of cakes are fake. Seriously FAKE. Fake cake, fake icing, fake decoration. Nothing edible at all or would be allowed by the food safety industry. Search for sugar flowers, gumpaste sugar floral sprays, things like that. Lots of ideas for food safe things. 

Minileo Posted 17 May 2024 , 1:38am
post #9 of 13

Thank you so much @Regina & @MBalaska.... for your inputs. I will try soaking them. & yes it is so hard figure out if a cake is just for the decoration purpose or to eat.

ReginaCoeliB Posted 17 May 2024 , 11:56am
post #10 of 13

Try to find someone around with real fresh grape vines....I have also seen wild grapes, growing like weeds, maybe you can give them a rinse and use them, they will be green/brownish, flexible nontoxic and clean. Oh boy.... good luck with this one!

Minileo Posted 17 May 2024 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 13

@Regina, you know what, I was thinking of the same. What's funnier, I have a whole fence covered in grape vines in my backyard. I am hiding my face LOL.. Thank you again, LOVE! 

ReginaCoeliB Posted 18 May 2024 , 12:40am
post #12 of 13

You have not spray them? have you? Otherwise.... GO GIRL!

Minileo Posted 20 May 2024 , 5:07am
post #13 of 13

No no that's the whole point of growing organic and zero chemical, grapes for my kids.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%