Buttercream Flavors And Coloring

Decorating By saadi Updated 11 Sep 2023 , 3:36pm by ASimpleBaker

saadi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saadi Posted 8 Sep 2023 , 6:22pm
post #1 of 3

Hey y'all maybe this question has been asked but im not even sure how to search for it so here goes...especially for those who do floral buttercream work...what do you do if customers want a chocolate buttercream but the buttercream work such as florals or piping or whatever needs to be colored? like I don't think you can change chocolate buttercream to anything else except darker colors right? but what if say im working on a cake with light colored florals for spring or summer for example...im just confused...do you do chocolate underneath and then cover in vanilla flavor or do you use some kind of chocolate flavor instead of actual chocolate lol ????? I hope this makes sense! 

2 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 8 Sep 2023 , 8:20pm
post #2 of 3

I would ice the cake with chocolate buttercream... and use regular vanilla buttercream for the colored flowers. Or how about piping the flowers using white chocolate buttercream? But using artificial chocolate flavor for a light-colored icing... uhmmm sounds weird!

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 11 Sep 2023 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 3

Be aware, most of the time decorations in a standard buttercream do not overpower the flavor of a base frosting.  It might depend on the quantity you are using to cover the cake, but generally speaking it wont take over. And you can pipe anything you want on top, but you do want to make sure the client understands that the base decoration is the chocolate color and the flowers/decoration will be lighter/different colors etc. This can actually be a pretty combination especially in fall, where oranges, yellows, and dusty pinks can be beautiful against a chocolate background. If the client balks at the brown of real chocolate frosting, I would suggest doing what Regina notes, maybe make a white chocolate buttercream base, since that would be a light ivory color.  But again, make sure your client is ok with the difference in taste that white chocolate has to regular chocolate.  The trouble with artificial chocolate flavor is that it tastes, well artificial (just my own personal opinion).  HTH!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%