Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By juljenki Updated 27 Aug 2023 , 11:50pm by -K8memphis

juljenki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juljenki Posted 22 Aug 2023 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 8

I am having a big problem with my modeling chocolate. I made it and made it into witches legs with her shoes. The problem is it is not getting hard. These are cupcake toppers. Let them sit out poked into a styrofoam block so they were upright . They did not get hard so put them in the fridge. A little better but still not hard. What went wrong? I made enough(24) so don’t really want to start over. Do u think they’re going to be ok and hold up ? I am really worried about them ! Help please!

7 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 22 Aug 2023 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 8

Have you worked with modeling chocolate before? Do you have a tested reliable recipe? Working with modeling chocolate is tricky, the more you handle it the more pliable and softer it will become, the more fat will be released leaving a crumbly and dry mass behind. For something as fragile as legs, the structure of the modeling chocolate must be perfectly sturdy. Getting you product in the fridge will certainly help. After it sets, bring them back to room temperature to see if the hardening was momentary or permanent. If they get soft again... sorry, but start all over again, either your recipe or your method failed! 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 22 Aug 2023 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 8

Although I love modelling chocolate, I find it much more structurally sound if mixed 50/50 with fondant. More workable and dries hard. It would help if we knew your modelling chocolate recipe. Then we can troubleshoot.

juljenki Posted 23 Aug 2023 , 3:28am
post #4 of 8

I have used this recipe many many times before. Made all kings of flowers and animal figures . No problems ever. The only thing different is when I did it before I lived in Nevada very dry there, I moved to Tennessee very humid here . I have the legs inserted with a skewer so they’ll stay straight but they’re still not completely hard like when I did them before. Could it just be the hum although my house is air conditioned?

juljenki Posted 23 Aug 2023 , 3:33am
post #5 of 8

Thanks for your quick replies. I’ll see how they are tomorrow if not good might just have to redo. Ugh!!

juljenki Posted 23 Aug 2023 , 3:33am
post #6 of 8

Thanks for your quick replies. I’ll see how they are tomorrow if not good might just have to redo. Ugh!!

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 23 Aug 2023 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 8

Any news today? And yes, humidity and temperature make a HUGE difference in how sugary stuff behaves! 

A side note, I remember my cake decorating instructor back in college used to tell us never to use wire, sticks or anything inedible as part of decorations. It happened to her that she put Styrofoam balls as part of a design and many children eat them! Keep in mind that someone might bite right through those legs and get a stick in their throats...  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2023 , 11:50pm
post #8 of 8

where are you in tennessee????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%