2 Tiers What Sizes ?

Decorating By ombaker Updated 27 Aug 2023 , 11:42pm by -K8memphis

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 9 Aug 2023 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a 2 tier cake, 3 layers each tier. Will a 6” look ok with a 9”? I usually do an 8” but trying to feed more people.

thanks

6 replies
Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 9 Aug 2023 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 7

So what is the servings needed? Cake sizing should be done on servings.  I use wedding cake servings, and my cakes are 5" high, 4 layers cake, three layers filling.  So for me a 6" cake serves 12.  I do not do off sizes like 9", so I would stack a 6" on a 10 ", which serves 50 (the 10" serves 38). How many you plan for might be how you cut your cakes or tell folks how to cut their cakes.  If you select to stack a 6" and a 9" it should look fine. It really might come down to the design options being used for that. I stack 4" with 6" and 8" on top of a 10".  That looks fine, if a simply design and a larger amount is needed. 

Caketally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caketally Posted 9 Aug 2023 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 7

Yes,  a 6x9 will be fine

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2023 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 7

I started doing cakes professionaly in the early 70's when a 6x9x12 was the norm -- a three inch difference between tiers imo is the best look -- or four inches even 4x8x12  or 8x12x16 

only 2" between tier sizes is actually a little cramped imo but I got used to it --

but imho a 6x9x12 is the prettiest silhouette -- full stop

blush

ASimpleBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ASimpleBaker Posted 14 Aug 2023 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 7

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 day ago

I started doing cakes professionaly in the early 70's when a 6x9x12 was the norm -- a three inch difference between tiers imo is the best look -- or four inches even 4x8x12  or 8x12x16 

only 2" between tier sizes is actually a little cramped imo but I got used to it --

but imho a 6x9x12 is the prettiest silhouette -- full stop

blush

Ah I remember when no birthday cake was a tiered option when I was a kid in the 70's lol (the many bday pics with a "slab" style homemade cake show it.)  I know that when I received my grandmother baking items, all her cake pans were either 9 inch round or the somewhat 9 x 13 pans (not true sizing, just mostly lol).  When I did my sisters wedding cake back in the early 90's, I did the tiered with push in dowels option for her 4 tiered cake so cake sizes could be sequential and it looked ok.  I think I did for hers 2" but the spacing the push in dowels offered made it work I think.  With stacking,  I think the 2" can be cramped, but some of the current in vogue styles look decent with them.   I do all buttercream with florals or mixed media, and the spacing works with those.  Does anything not go these days?    I love seeing "retro" styles and that was literally every 80's wedding cake.  lol

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2023 , 8:19pm
post #6 of 7

I too am stuck in the 80s & 90s style frame as like K8 I too started my decorating then.   Most of these modern styles leave me cold though I do some .  I don 't know if there is any no go styles but love seeing those retro styles coming back :)    But I think some of them are being done on 3 layer (6") tall tiers. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Aug 2023 , 11:42pm
post #7 of 7

blush high five, twice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%