What To Say To Customer About Price Increase

Business By cserr4 Updated 9 Aug 2023 , 6:45pm by Caketally

cserr4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cserr4 Posted 31 Jul 2023 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 6

I have a customer who is asking me for a cake and I gave her a price.  She said that's not how much you charged my sister for her two tiered cake. Her sister ordered this cake at least 2 years ago! 

Since then I have done my prices according to what I'm worth plus the cost of everything else. 

What do I tell her? 

5 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 1 Aug 2023 , 2:10pm
post #2 of 6

Show her your las gas receipt....that should do! Hard to believe that people want to pay for goods the same as two or ten years ago!

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 1 Aug 2023 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 6

Sorry, it’s hard not to laugh. I mean unless this person lives on Mars, have they not noticed the price of everything has gone up. Some items more than others, and some items more in particular areas where people reside. That’s basically all you have to say. I mean you can’t be expected to charge the same price for a product two years later. 

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 2 Aug 2023 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 6

I agree, hard to think pricing stays the same long, especially in a product that is eaten.  Our favorite restaurants have all seen a price increase in the last year or so.  But the product they provide are still worth it.  So while it seems unreasonable that a product might have a price increase in two years, it is likely it never really occurred to your potential client. If you have not yet replied, I would note something like, " I can understand that my current pricing may not be what you were expecting based upon the previous order, but note my pricing is in line with current costs and the high quality product being provided".  It is also possible she thought she could still get the older pricing. But either way, gracious and polite is your best reply, and in the end may save the order.  If she wants cheap, nothing you say will matter, but doing so in this manner keeps you professional and on top of things.  Acknowledge her shock while politely sticking to your guns. 

Caketally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caketally Posted 9 Aug 2023 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 6

Simply tell her the cost of ingredients have gone up significantly and you have improved skills over the last 2 years and the new price effects both. 

Caketally Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caketally Posted 9 Aug 2023 , 6:45pm
post #6 of 6

Simply tell her the cost of ingredients have gone up significantly and you have improved skills over the last 2 years and the new price effects both. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%