Storing Cakes

Baking By Julie5 Updated 4 Aug 2023 , 3:05pm by Singerssoul

Julie5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie5 Posted 21 Jul 2023 , 4:53pm
post #1 of 4

So my question is about storing your cakes after they are baked. I’ve been doing this for about 10 years still just as a hobby I don’t do it professionally but my cakes have gotten quite good. My question is anytime I bake a cake and I don’t use it that day I feel like it gets stale and isn’t moist anymore. No matter what I do. What I really like to do is wrap them up and freeze them for a day or so no matter what because I like decorating them cold. I like cutting them cold and decorating. But I feel like when I go to serve the cake it’s always dry. I use a WASC recipe and I love it when it’s fresh.  What do you guys do in this situation? I’m decorating the cake tomorrow. The event is Sunday. I have just baked and they are cooling right now. Do you let them cool completely? Do you wrap them up and put them in the fridge if you were going to decorate tomorrow? ? What’s everyone’s process look like? 

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jul 2023 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 4

I seldom use a cake baked that day!  It's recommended that a cake should never be used the same day.   I do bake ahead, wrap in a plastic bag and freeze a day or two, sometimes even returning that completely finished cake to the freezer for several days. 

Since I don't  eat/taste my cakes I can't say if there is any difference .  My taste buds arn't that sharp - - I doubt I would notice any differences anyway.  All of my baking these days is for cakes4kids.org  -- troubled/foster care kids don't have refined taste buds either :)  I doubt that will find my cakes not worthy

I'm on a very limited budget of less that $1,ooo a month so WalMart brand mix is all I can afford with prices going sky high with everything else.  In fact, packaging those cakes is almost to the point I'm gong to have to stop making them. 

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 31 Jul 2023 , 1:17am
post #3 of 4

I wrap my cakes in plastic wrap while they are still slightly warm  It seems to help with the moisture.  

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 4 Aug 2023 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 4

I know you are likely done by now, but I thought i would share.  I agree with bake ahead, since I bake scratch, I like to freeze overnight at least. The cake benefits from it, although they are not dry from baking. And since I only do filled cakes, they require settling time to ensure stability (I do so with a light weight). So same day baking and decorating is never on the plan unless single layer, rustic frosted cake for family/friends.  My cakes are made only with butter, and butter cakes freeze well and come to room temp nicely.  But the fridge is not their friend.  Cakes made with butter come out of a full chill in a fridge tasting to some "dry" because it changes the mouthfeel. And there is no way to restore that missing mouthfeel without a slight heat application, which is not viable.  When I ice and decorate, it may go in and out for very short periods due to the meringue buttercream I use, but I never leave for extended, full chill time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%