Wedding Cake Order Failure

Business By Sunbrn2001 Updated 5 Aug 2023 , 9:56pm by Singerssoul

Sunbrn2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunbrn2001 Posted 5 Jun 2023 , 2:50am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, So today it finally happened. I got a text from an unhappy bride. The cake and cake pop flavors were wrong. I delivered the cake yesterday ( 2 tier 7/5 pink with pearls and 2 dozen cake pops) yesterday, in addition to a cake stand and serving set ( no charge) the cake was ordered. Last year. We spoke on the phone, did a tasting and she booked me. I sent over the invoice with all flavor and design details listed and requested deposit which was paid. Last month I sent the invoice over for final payment. Again all details were listed. She texted me tonight saying that "while the cake was beautiful, the flavors were wrong. That she didn't know what happened bc I took detailed notes.And how was I going to make this right?" She wanted the bottom chocolate and the cake pops strawberry. Both tiers were pink lemonade, chocolate and vanilla cake pops per the invoice. I was so confused. I looked back through my hand written notes and found them. She was correct. The flavors were wrong. So my question is this, how should I handle that? She didn't say the flavors were wrong on the invoice. If she had I could've corrected it. The cake was eaten. Do I offer a refund? Full,partial? I will absolutely appologize for the error ( I still don't know how that happened) I feel horrible. However, I go by the invoice in my system. Thoughts?

5 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 6 Jun 2023 , 11:45am
post #2 of 6

I will offer a partial refund. There was a mistake from your part, obviously, but she also failed overlooking the invoice. Do not feel that bad, we are all humans and make mistakes.

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 4 Aug 2023 , 7:47pm
post #3 of 6

So what did you offer and how did your bride feel?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Aug 2023 , 2:59pm
post #4 of 6

I would offer a partial refund, no more than 50% max. You did make a mistake, but it certainly wasn't a disaster, since the cake was eaten and enjoyed by the wedding party and guests.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Aug 2023 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 6

I would offer a partial refund, no more than 50% max. You did make a mistake, but it certainly wasn't a disaster, since the cake was eaten and enjoyed by the wedding party and guests.

Singerssoul Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Singerssoul Posted 5 Aug 2023 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 6

I have to agree with Sandra, minimum is a 50% refund.  The argument that she served and ate it is a tough one because literally, it is a wedding.  What should she do?  Tell you to come get it once the issue was discovered?   Is that realistic?  The idea with refunding your client is your trying to make an issue right. And luckily, it was beautiful for her, so she was able to use it for the view purposes like pictures and cake cutting etc. So at minimum 50% up to 100% would be provided.  imagine if you provide a flavor that was not usable, IE someone couldn't have lemon for instance. (say the mother of the bride or the bride herself, and so one). Each situation that may have an issue of this kind will be somewhat unique.   In this case, as soon as I was aware of the issue, an immediate offer for 50% would have been tabled to the bride. And that would be offered along with a heart felt apology and perhaps a small cake and sampling of her pops in the right flavors.  Ultimately, what did you do?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%