Ugghhh. First Big Cookie Mistake.

Lounge By MBalaska Updated 14 Dec 2022 , 1:45am by mrsmac888

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 28 Nov 2022 , 4:03am
post #1 of 13

Started off the holiday season baking, with spritz butter cookies.  Old school recipe with my Mercato cookie press.  A big double batch just to make sure that I had plenty for myself, as these are my favorite winter cookies.  Real butter, granulated sugar, touch of extract, flour, an egg.  Simple.

and Ugghhh, disaster.  Had to throw them the whole bowl of batter away.  In decades this has never happened before. I'm annoyed, but mostly because I could not figure out what happened.  We checked the ingredients and tasted everything to make sure they were ok.  Then it finally dawned on me to check the flour.  I'd purchased a bag of 'self-rising flour'. So instead of lovely all-purpose flour; it's flour loaded with baking soda, or baking powder and salt. 

Never bought that in my life, and didn't notice the label at the grocery store.  That's my cookie disaster story for my lifetime........ I hope.  Happy Holidays everyone. 

12 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 28 Nov 2022 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 13

Oh, I'm so sorry for you, and your double batch of cookies!... ingredients are not that cheap now to end up in the trash... But getting all purpose confused with self-rising... is a mortal sin in the kitchen indeed! Mistakes like this will happen to you just once. The disaster is of such magnitude that after this you will always double check, right?

Clean that messy battlefield... treat yourself with a cup of coffee, double check that tricksy all-purpose flour... and keep baking!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Nov 2022 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 13

it tasted bad? the self rising part would have changed the shape of the cookies, they would puff up -- but they should have been perfectly edible -- you didn't like the taste?

ReginaCoeliB Posted 29 Nov 2022 , 1:38am
post #4 of 13

That is true boss, extra fluffy and all, you can still make something out of puffed pipped cookies... a cheesecake base...yuuum! Maybe mixed with some ganache and some spirits a nice bunch of truffles will see the light!... True boss, in times like this, we must think like in the olden days, that nothing should go to waste!

MBalaska Posted 1 Dec 2022 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 13

-K8memphis It tasted like a baking soda sandwich. just awful Kate.  I baked them all and couldn't stand the awful taste. Trashed them all.  I could have to put country gravy and sausage on top of them, but the sugar would have thrown them off.  This is one mistake that I had to pay for. 

However, ReginaCoeliB  I gathered up my courage today.  Made coconut chocolate chip cookie dough, & spicy oatmeal raisin cookie dough. Then lastly, I made spritz cookie dough for me.  All the dough is resting in the fridge for the night.

Tomorrow, I'll make it a baking day. The house will smell nice.  The freezer will get full. and the world will go back on its axis and keep spinning.  I simply have to remember to always wear my glasses when I'm shopping.  Getting old sucks. HA.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Dec 2022 , 6:58pm
post #6 of 13

laughing

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 12 Dec 2022 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 13

MBalaska,

Would you be willing to share your Spritz Cookie recipe?  I just happened to have a customer ask for them.  I've never made them before....I'd much rather get the recipe from a "tried and true" baker than from the internet.  :-)

Thanks!
Christina

ReginaCoeliB Posted 13 Dec 2022 , 1:30am
post #8 of 13

I just made spritz [email protected] I'll give you the recipe if you want... beware, I'm Hispanic, my recipes are in grams! The picture was a triple batch, one vanilla, one gingerbread and one chocolate.... for my hubby's co-workers! Kiddos helped; it was fun!

Spritz Galore

MBalaska Posted 13 Dec 2022 , 3:07am
post #9 of 13

ReginaCoeliB  Yes of course you could share your recipe.  Your cookies look fantastic. So much variety and all lovely.!!

The conversion between grams and ounces is easy with the newer electronic scales.  I can do both with mine.

mrsmac888  here is my old school simple recipe:  

SPRITZ PRESSED COOKIES

1 lb BUTTER softened overnight

9 oz.  SUGAR granulated

Pinch  SALT

Cream butter & sugar for 5 mins on medium.  Then add:

2 EGGS  whole large

2 teaspoons ALMOND extract

Beat 30 seconds then add:

1 lb. 5 oz. FLOUR  all purpose

Mix until combined.  Do not overmix, it toughens up the dough.

375 f.  bake about 12 mins

Do not grease pan or use parchment paper.  Press the cookie directly on the pan.  The first pressed cookie will be wonky, scrape it off & toss dough back into bowl.

You can color the dough with gel food coloring. You can sprinkle dough with just about anything.  Non-pariels, sprinkles, colored sugar – before baking.   Cool completely on the pan.

MBalaska Posted 13 Dec 2022 , 3:10am
post #10 of 13

OH BOY WOULD I LOVE ONE OF THESE MACHINES. HAAHAHAHA

Drop-Top-400-450-03.png

ReginaCoeliB Posted 13 Dec 2022 , 4:06pm
post #11 of 13

Ok @MBalaska, whenever you find one of these machines in a "BOGO" sale, please, think of your good friend Reggis!

This is a recipe I tailored myself, I wanted the flavor and texture to be exactly like the ones you'll find in my hometown, Merida-Venezuela... A version brought to the city by the countless Italian immigrants we received after the war. Here goes my recipe. 

• 2 sticks of butter, one salted and on unsalted, room temperature, please, thank you!
  • 115 gr of powdered sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp of vanilla and/or any flavor extract or food coloring
  • 75 gr of cornstarch
  • 250 gr of ALL PURPOSE flour, again, please, thank you!

Combine butter and sugar until homogeneous, do not cream, otherwise the cookies will be filled with air and become brittle. Add egg and beat until completely incorporated. Add extract. In a separate bowl combine and sift cornstarch and flour. Add to the previous mix and gently combine until incorporated. Do not overmix. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for some 15-18 min., depending on the shape.

Because this version has some cornstarch, it will be more forgiving if you overmix. The final cookies are crumbly and buttery, never tough. The consistency is lovely not only for using with the spritz press, but also with a piping bag with a large star tip.

For the chocolate version, substitute half of the cornstarch for cocoa powder. For the gingerbread version, substitute the teaspoon of extract for molasses and add a good tablespoon of gingerbread spices.

For decor I used homemade candied orange, crushed butterscotch candy, powdered sugar, candied ginger strips, dark chocolate drizzle, sliced almonds, maraschino cherries, white chocolate, ground pistachios, dulce de leche and sparkling sugar.

MBalaska Posted 13 Dec 2022 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 13

Quote by @ReginaCoeliB on 2 hours ago

Ok @MBalaska, whenever you find one of these machines in a "BOGO" sale, please, think of your good friend Reggis!

ReginaCoeliB     CAN DO....... 
This is a recipe I tailored myself, I wanted the flavor and texture to be exactly like the ones you'll find in my hometown, Merida-Venezuela... A version brought to the city by the countless Italian immigrants we received after the war. Here goes my recipe. 
  • 2 sticks of butter, one salted and on unsalted, room temperature, please, thank you!
  • 115 gr of powdered sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp of vanilla and/or any flavor extract or food coloring
  • 75 gr of cornstarch
  • 250 gr of ALL PURPOSE flour, again, please, thank you!

Combine butter and sugar until homogeneous, do not cream, otherwise the cookies will be filled with air and become brittle. Add egg and beat until completely incorporated. Add extract. In a separate bowl combine and sift cornstarch and flour. Add to the previous mix and gently combine until incorporated. Do not overmix. Bake in a preheated oven at 350 F for some 15-18 min., depending on the shape.

Because this version has some cornstarch, it will be more forgiving if you overmix. The final cookies are crumbly and buttery, never tough. The consistency is lovely not only for using with the spritz press, but also with a piping bag with a large star tip.

For the chocolate version, substitute half of the cornstarch for cocoa powder. For the gingerbread version, substitute the teaspoon of extract for molasses and add a good tablespoon of gingerbread spices.

For decor I used homemade candied orange, crushed butterscotch candy, powdered sugar, candied ginger strips, dark chocolate drizzle, sliced almonds, maraschino cherries, white chocolate, ground pistachios, dulce de leche and sparkling sugar.

I'd like to try this recipe just for the cocoa powder version.  This is on my to do list.  My electronic scale will do grams easy peasy. With the chocolate drizzle on top.  Lovely. Thank You ReginaCoeliB 
all purpose flour yes, yes, yes. hahaahah

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 14 Dec 2022 , 1:45am
post #13 of 13

Thank you both for the recipes!  I can't wait to try them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%