Does Anyone Here One-Stroke?

Decorating By Cakepro Updated 2 Feb 2007 , 3:50pm by liha21

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 8:36am
post #1 of 17

I've been taking the One-Stroke painting classes at the Michael's where I teach cake decorating, with an eye toward hand-painting some lovely cake plates as well as trying this technique on fondant cakes. Does anyone do any OS painting on cakes or cookies? I've seen pictures of them here and there, mostly in OS publications, but don't know what type/brand of colors are best suited for this type of work on fondant.

Ideas, suggestions from those who have done this? I want to try to acheive the look of a double-loaded brush.

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

~ Sherri

16 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 17

You can probably get the look on Fondant a lot better than on BC.....just use gel colors and use a plate as your pallette. Use a brush dedicated to cakes and do what you normally do. If you find the gel colors are too thick, dilute them with some vodka one drop at a time.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 17

I have been trying to teach myself One-Stroke to someday be able to do simple designs on fondant covered cakes...........so far have not really had the time to even open the book! Maybe a course at Michael's is in order here!

deb

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 6:00pm
post #4 of 17

Sherri- Love your question! I use one stroke in my murals for kids rooms and such. I would love to try it on cakes. duh~ Never thought of it. Course haven't been doing it very long so hopefully eventually I would have thought of it! Thanks for starting this thread!!! Michelle

rhopar33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhopar33 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 6:07pm
post #5 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

I've been taking the One-Stroke painting classes at the Michael's where I teach cake decorating, with an eye toward hand-painting some lovely cake plates as well as trying this technique on fondant cakes. Does anyone do any OS painting on cakes or cookies? I've seen pictures of them here and there, mostly in OS publications, but don't know what type/brand of colors are best suited for this type of work on fondant.

Ideas, suggestions from those who have done this? I want to try to acheive the look of a double-loaded brush.

Thanks. icon_smile.gif

~ Sherri

Sherri,

It's so funny you would pose this question. I am a WMI at Michael's and just the other night I was looking at some of the finsihed products from the one stroke class and thought, "hmm, maybe I should take the class so I can learn to paint on fondant cakes". I plan on enrolling in the next class and look forward to expanding my creativity on cakes!

Rhonda

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 7:59pm
post #6 of 17

I don't One-Stroke, but you know who does? L'aurel Silverberg. If you don't know who she is, she is this really great cake decorator from Arizona who is on the ICES board and who goes around to DOS for different ICES states all the time.

I went to the same cake club as she does and she has some goregous examples of One-Stroke cakes she has done. I would have been taken a class from her on how to do it, but I moved. icon_sad.gif I really miss that cake club!

Anyway, it is a fabulous technique and kudos to you for learning it and wanting to apply it!

Rachel

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 17

I googled her name (mis-spelled it - Laure'l Silverberg, I never can remember where the darn apostrophe goes) and found this:

http://www.sweetstampen.com/

It's the business she started. This is right up your alley of what you are looking for.

Rachel

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 17

She actually sold sweet stampin a while ago.. So I don't think you can contact her that way but here is her new business that is all about cake painting. icon_smile.gif

http://www.thesweetpalette.com/index.html

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:00am
post #9 of 17

I did some grass on a cake and some flowers on some cookies.........my mom is great at OS painting not me! But I just wanted to try so I could try talking her into painting cakes for me LOL

I just use the americolor gels straight up.....they work beautifully

oh.......CindyW I think is her name......she does them

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=One%20stroke&cat=0&pos=0&search=One%20stroke
LL
LL

CindyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyW Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:01am
post #10 of 17

I love painting on Fondant. I use the Amerigel Colors straight from the bottle. They are sold on this website. Use the flat brush and double load just like you would with acryllic paint. It works Great.
Cindy

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 12:07am
post #11 of 17

Cindy, that is what I am talking about - your cakes are so beautiful and the hand painting makes them look like fine china. This is what I eventually want to be able to do with cakes! icon_biggrin.gif

deb

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:11am
post #12 of 17

WOW, those cakes and cookies are so gorgeous!!

Thanks for sharing...I have every color of Americolor gel so that was great to hear.

Guess I'll be investing in some food-color-only OS brushes.

Thanks for the great info!!!

~ Sherri

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 1:59pm
post #13 of 17

Yes, I saw an episode of her show where she painted on fondant. If I remember correctly, I think that's all she did was use the color right from the bottle just like the paint.

Elfie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elfie Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 5:03pm
post #14 of 17

This may sound dumb, but what color do you use for white? The whitening stuff from Wilton?

mcshay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcshay Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 5:25pm
post #15 of 17

At the Michael's close to my house, the OS teacher is a cake decorator. She would let us cake decorators some in and practice OS techniques on fondant. We supplied the cheapy Wilton fondant and she showed us how to OS. We also had to practice on sketch paper too, so we can see the difference in color and have more room to practice.

It was a lot of fun. We did a sea scape with palm trees and learned how to blend the colors to make a sunset. Pretty cool stuff!

CindyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindyW Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 1:19pm
post #16 of 17

For the White you use the Americolor Gel, The white is thinner than the other colors and works great for the double loaded brush.

liha21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liha21 Posted 2 Feb 2007 , 3:50pm
post #17 of 17

I taught myself how to one stroke a few years ago and did some mural painting, now that i'm getting into cake decorating I would have never thought to do it on cakes. Excellent suggestion.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%