Whole Cake Freezing

Baking By Julie5 Updated 8 Oct 2022 , 1:25pm by kakeladi

Julie5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie5 Posted 8 Oct 2022 , 11:41am
post #1 of 4

Hi guys. I have a question about freezing a cake. My daughters second birthday is today and I’ve been working on a cake. I iced the tiers yesterday in American buttercream. The tiers are in the fridge. Today I was going to stack the cake and apply some fondant figures to it but it turns out my daughter is sick and we are gonna postpone. So my question is, if we postpone just until tomorrow I think the cake will be fine but if we can’t have it until Monday or Tuesday I hate to serve a stale cake and thought I’d freeze it? So how do I do that even? Again it’s 3 tiers fully finished iced. How do I freeze and then thaw? 

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2022 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 4

i hope she's feeling better!!

for the thawing, do it gradually, from the freezer to the fridge overnight then to room temp --

for the freezing -- get it frozen for a couple hours -- take it out and wrap it up good securely in plastic wrap a couple times and if you can, insert them into those big turkey cooking bags -- should be good to go -- the cooking bags are an additional layer of protection -- probably not necessary for just a couple days -- but the idea is to protect your creation from fridge odors -- 

since they're final iced, i would remove all wrappers before you place in fridge overnight to thaw -- to prevent ice crystals that formed from melting on the icing and to prevent the wrap from changing the finish on the icing --

there's more than one way to do this -- if you have big enough plastic containers with lids, slap 'em in there -- or cake boxes slap 'em in there and seal those in plastic wrap -- again watch out for ice crystals before thawing --

sick on her sweet birthday, baby shugar!!! tell her happy birthday from me!!!

hibiscus

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Oct 2022 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 4

also if freezer space is a concern -- get the small tiers frozen solid first and stack the larger ones on top -- there's more space in the top of a freezer than the bottom --

best to you!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Oct 2022 , 1:25pm
post #4 of 4

I agree with K8.  Make sure there’s enough room for such a tall cake.  Put it in the fzr UNwrapped 1st Maybe an hr  just to harden the icing then wrap it in plastic.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%