Cake Testing

Baking By jpjones-1 Updated 2 Oct 2022 , 3:01pm by -K8memphis

jpjones-1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpjones-1 Posted 27 Sep 2022 , 5:28pm
post #1 of 11

Good afternoon everyone. I have a couple that would like for me to make their wedding cake and they want a taste test. Do you charge for cake testing and how much?  Thank you.

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2022 , 12:47am
post #2 of 11

yes charge — some peeps give a tasting ‘kit’ in a cute bag or box — some people do the little tea party with drinks and all —

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2022 , 12:53am
post #3 of 11

I’m on my phone and if I write too much in one post it explodes — so there might be a few here — 

so at one place where I worked we did cupcakes with leftover batter, then froze them so we could always pop out a nice sample with a variety of fillings —

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2022 , 12:58am
post #4 of 11

then another place we gave a bite of white cake, white icing, done!  presented in cup cake wrappers — easy peasy!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2022 , 1:08am
post #5 of 11

and I reluctantly did two cake tastings from home — I just don’t  have the patience— plus I mean who doesn’t know what the different cake flavors taste like, right? to me it’s just become a ‘tradition’ that’s easy for bakeries and difficult for home  bakers —

so yes for your own peace of mind, and to prevent burn out charge them for this — it’s Work!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2022 , 1:15am
post #6 of 11

what I did do for my brides is tell them that I would deliver with their cake order two additional cakes — much more appealing, in my mind and all my brides agreed, than a tasting…

-K8memphis Posted 28 Sep 2022 , 1:22am
post #7 of 11

they were easily made up from cake scraps — two 4”cakes boxed — one for the first anniversary one for the honeymoon — that way they could use all their (expensive) cake servings for their guests — was a great selling point too — I think if given a choice brides would pick this nine times out of ten over a tasting —  I said it was my gift to them!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2022 , 7:27pm
post #8 of 11

if the bride was difficult or didn’t pay on time — no gift for them — and I didn’t say I made it out of the scraps — I said it would be the same flavors and decorated to match —

jpjones-1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jpjones-1 Posted 30 Sep 2022 , 3:31pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you so much K8memphis. I will definitely charge.  Should I charge the amount of a slice cake?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Sep 2022 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 11

I had a set price  of $25 for a tasting that would be applied to the wedding if ordered on the spot at tasting end.  This was 30-40 years ago so actual amount you want to charge you will have to decide on.  

Over the years I did tastings differently:  a 6” decorated simply & sent home with them;  a “tea time party” slices cut from a 6”  & served on plate with water —at 1st at home then in shop when I open. hated that most people took only a bite or 2 so I ended up throwing out most of it sooo I went to serving 1x2x2” cubes in cupcake case offering 3 flavors .  I’m a b’cream gal but I included a piece of cake with fondant so they would know what it’s like.  

-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2022 , 3:01pm
post #11 of 11

custard charge a lot more than a slice like lynne said -- it's the labor -- even if it's convenient for you like you were already doing a cake for someone -- good -- but don't pass the saving of Your Time over to the client -- 

cake fish_cake

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%