Buttercream Seeping Color

Decorating By newmamabaker Updated 22 Sep 2022 , 9:36pm by MBalaska

newmamabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmamabaker Posted 15 Sep 2022 , 12:21am
post #1 of 4

So I’m a hobby cake maker. Slowly learning stuff as I go.

I’ve been working with some colored buttercreams lately but haven’t figured out why some bleed/seep before and after decorating. I color a day ahead at least and sometimes microwave it to get deeper colors and then store it in the fridge til I need it to decorate - I let it get to room temp and rewhip. The only thing I can think of is I live in Hawaii and I don’t have an air conditioned house so maybe it’s the air temp that makes it bleed? The house can go up to like 85 degrees on some days. But I try my best to put the cakes in the fridge in between decorating and I have fans going all around me to try keep the area cool. Maybe it’s the up and down temp from going in and out of the fridge too. I’m not sure. 

I use Italian meringue buttercream for reference and Wilton food coloring. 

TIA for the advice and tips!

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2022 , 1:48am
post #2 of 4

do you use.real butter? microwaving it can melt the water in the butter — and that might cause the weeping —

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2022 , 9:23am
post #3 of 4

also when you use a fan in 85 degree weather you are creating a convection oven effect that melts the icing — the fan feels cooling on our skin but doesn’t have the same effect on icing

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 Sep 2022 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 4

also, in addition to what -K8memphis says...... one smart lady by the way 

You can freeze or put in fridge any iced cakes.  However, you must keep them tightly wrapped & sealed against moisture.  Then  - fully wrapped - let them come to room temperature before you take it out of the wrapping.  This sometimes takes a while.  That helps with separation & sweating. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%