Covering A Cheesecake With Fondant Or Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By Jolie57 Updated 13 Sep 2022 , 11:17pm by ReginaCoeliB

Jolie57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolie57 Posted 12 Sep 2022 , 2:29am
post #1 of 4

My grandson wants a cheesecake as his grooms cake.  The way he would like for it to be decorated would require me to cover it in fondant or modeling chocolate.  It would be a 13" x 15" cheesecake, just the one layer.  I know I would need to cover it with ganache first, but was wanting to know if I could then cover in fondant or modeling chocolate.  He is in medical school and would like it to look like a lab coat with shirt and tie.  Or would it be better for me to cover it with a white chocolate ganache and just use fondant for the other elements.  Could I accomplish the look this way?

3 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 12 Sep 2022 , 9:22pm
post #2 of 4

Wow, that looks complicated...I'll do a thin snow-white buttercream layer and very thin white chocolate modeling stuff on top...still, no guarantee that whatever you use to cover the cheesecake will hold...Contrary to a cake, cheesecake must be kept cold at all times, the risk of contamination and spoiling (hence food poisoning!) will increase as the temperature increase...not to mention the stability of the cheesecake itself... Good luck!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2022 , 6:08pm
post #3 of 4

yes what reggie said -- cheesecake is not the right choice for a sculpture --

but as for the question -- you can use any of those choices on top of the cheesecake, the buttercream, the modeling choco, or ganache, and then the fondant --

but yeah, must be kept cold and that zaps the joy of sculpting it into a lab coat --

best to you & happy wedding!

i mean you could do something complicated and affix some thin freezer packs inside a box that you decorate as a lab coat and stash the cheesecake underneath -- way too much trouble for anyone but family -- you could make some easy peasy lab coat cut out cookies -- i'd recommend using rolled buttercream for those --

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 13 Sep 2022 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 4

What about offering a regular doctor coat cake and then have them over after the wedding for a cheesecake feast...Champaigne included.... and problem solved...I know....life was meant to be complicated...Good luck still!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%