Rolled Buttercream

Decorating By icer101 Updated 20 Aug 2022 , 10:15pm by MBalaska

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 9 Aug 2022 , 4:18am
post #1 of 10

Does anyone know who invented ROLLED BUTTERCREAM? Thank you when you have time to reply 

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Aug 2022 , 1:21pm
post #2 of 10

yes i used to , let's see, i gave my cake library away -- so there was this guy who was one of the first in the u.s. (pretty sure) who did massive sculptures -- he did one of abraham lincoln -- his wife was one of the first i believe to publish a book about rolled buttercream...or was that the white chocolate book... hmmm...lemme do some searching...brb if i find something

-K8memphis Posted 10 Aug 2022 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 10

roland winbeckler's wife, maybe... still checking...

-K8memphis Posted 10 Aug 2022 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 10

not too many gave good reviews of the book -- i met marsha once...

you didn't ask, but here's a synopsis of rolled buttercream:

anyhow if you make a real super stiff bc icing add cornstarch or whatever -- roll it, cut it, remove excess icing from around the cut, freeze the cuts, place frozen cuts on cookies warm from the oven, you just can't hardly do much better for a rolled cookie -- far better than fondant on a cookie in my opinion --

no extra charge blush

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Aug 2022 , 10:58pm
post #6 of 10

it was much too hard to deal with. tried it decades ago & went with chocolate clay & homemade marshmallow fondant. 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2022 , 11:51pm
post #7 of 10

yes, what MB said -- it's not a substitute for fondant -- there's nothing to hold it together and gravity takes control -- great on cookies, the tops of cookies --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Aug 2022 , 5:57am
post #8 of 10

Haven’t been around for awhile. 

Actually it was invented many years before Marsha got ahold of the recipe.  Like K8 I had the original recipe & persons name but also got rid of all that years ago.  If I remember correctly it was published in “Mailbox News” a cake decorating  magazine published back in the 1950s-60s.  

-K8memphis Posted 19 Aug 2022 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 10

that was a great magazine!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 20 Aug 2022 , 10:15pm
post #10 of 10

I never tried it on cookies. It probably would taste good, but I love the corn syrup glaze on cookies the very best!!  Actually, haven't made anything for years now.  Boy have the years gone by, and so much change.  My first bread & rolls I learned to make in the 4-H in Iowa.  Still have one of the old worn little booklets from the 1960's someplace.  

Quote by @-K8memphis on 3 days ago

yes, what MB said -- it's not a substitute for fondant -- there's nothing to hold it together and gravity takes control -- great on cookies, the tops of cookies --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%