Bunice

Baking By scadbee Updated 9 Jun 2022 , 11:19am by ReginaCoeliB

scadbee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scadbee Posted 8 Jun 2022 , 3:22am
post #1 of 3

Thank you for the suggestion of starting a new conversation.

original recipe (from a bakery) is as follows:

powdered sugar - 6 pounds

shortening - 5 pounds

bunice - 1 pound

salt - 1 ounce

flavoring - 1 ounce

water 1 pint

I thought maybe it was a brand of something. Like Crisco or Cool Whip. 

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2022 , 7:01pm
post #2 of 3

what is the recipe for does it say? icing? yes as reggie said maybe a typo of butter -- 6# powdered sugar, 6 # fat (shortening + bunice)

it sure could be some kind of already made icing or product or something -- google didn't turn up anything...

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 9 Jun 2022 , 11:19am
post #3 of 3

I'll say Bunice was probably a local brand of butter...or a secret word the bakery used to name it in order to prevent their famous icing recipe to be used by someone else!

I remember years ago a lady asking for help... she found an old recipe book from her grandmother who happened to be a very famous caterer of her days... and all the amount in the book where like this.... two pennies of butter, half dollar of starch, 2 dimes of cheese, and so on.... Imagine a recipe like trat in times like these!

I'll go for butter! It will turn like a soft and not overly sweet buttercream/icing since the ratio of sugar/fat is 1/1. The amounts are quite large for running a sample batch, you are risking a lot of ingredients. Also, a pint of water seems a lot to me...I'll add it little by little until the consistency is right.

Oh, good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%