What Should I Charge

Decorating By Alohachic Updated 21 Jan 2022 , 6:05pm by -K8memphis

Alohachic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alohachic Posted 20 Jan 2022 , 12:03am
post #1 of 7

I know I should go at my own rate but a guy my husband talked with wants me to do a pretty elaborate Cocomelon cake. It has 8 characters and lots of fondant work. Another person said they would charge $650for it. I don’t know what I should charge. Seeing as how I’m not a professional. I’m self taught. I always doubt myself. 

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2022 , 4:47am
post #2 of 7

Pricing is sooo very complicated!  

Asking others how much they charge is NOT going to help you 

kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2022 , 4:51am
post #3 of 7

Asking others how much they charge is NOT going to help you 

kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2022 , 4:53am
post #4 of 7

It goes far beyond cost of ingredients.  Just a very few of the 1000+ things that need to be taken into account are:  time & cost of learning; equipment — from pans & spatulas to oven & fridge; non-edible supplies like toothpicks, waxpaper etc — your location is extremely important— do you & your customers live in a rural area, small town, city or major/expensive city?  There are people from all over the world on These forums.  What they charge has nothing to do with you partly due to their location & their money is different!  

Now we get into the actual cost of ingredients - this will include the cost of time spent consulting, planning, designing, shopping, baking & finishing your creations.  Your car expenses for shopping & delivery—the vehicle, fuel, insurance; tires etc;  & even the “cost” of time away from family should be considered.  As I said just a very few things that pricing includes!  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jan 2022 , 4:26pm
post #5 of 7

how many servings? special flavors?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jan 2022 , 12:28am
post #6 of 7

Depending upon how complex  the characters, be sure to allow plenty of time and charge accordingly, in addition to the cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Jan 2022 , 6:05pm
post #7 of 7

i think the $650 area is a reliable price to consider -- why should you do it cheaper than someone else?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%