Sps Plates - Where Can I Find Them???

Decorating By sweetooth94 Updated 3 Nov 2021 , 4:02pm by lark6209

sweetooth94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetooth94 Posted 30 Oct 2021 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 8

Agh! I had a stash of SPS plates/pillars bought up and I am out.  I realized it a few weeks ago that I wasn't going to have what I needed for my 12", 10", 8" & 6" wedding cake for this weekend.  I could not find anyone that sold SPS plates by searching online, so had to break down and purchase a different kind of stacking plate system off of Amazon (I found singular 6" SPS plates on Amazon, but no pillars and no different size plates).  I used to buy these from GSA (Global Sugar Art), but now that he's closed I am unable to find them elsewhere.  I thought they were made my Bakery Crafts and have searched in vain looking for a way to buy them.  Anyone know who/where I can get these from?  I only use them for cakes 3-tiers or larger, so I don't use a ton of these.  I am used to them... *sigh*. If they aren't made anymore - can anyone direct me to what they use instead?  The set I got off of Amazon worked in a pinch for today but I had to use melted candy melts to "glue" the cardboard to the smooth plate.... it didn't have the little "nub" to lock the cardboard in place and I didn't want the cake to shift.  No great directions with the set I bought off of Amazon (of course), so I had to improvise with candy melts.  HELP!!!

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Oct 2021 , 4:49am
post #2 of 8

Have you tried hobby lobby or Michaels? Seems I saw some at one of those stores in the past few months.  Or have you tried eBay or similar sites?  Most likely if any are offered they will be yellowed.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 31 Oct 2021 , 2:20pm
post #3 of 8

if they are yellowed, one idea to work around that is to brush them with beaten egg white and sprinkle with granulated sugar to conceal -- they will glisten prettily but they will be white -- 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Nov 2021 , 2:58am
post #4 of 8

That idea K8 is probably the only one that will work.  Over the years I tried many different things others suggested but none really worked very well.  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Nov 2021 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 8

I believe you are talking about the SPS stacking system and not decorative pillar separators?  If so, I've never used them.  For cakes with more than three tiers, I deliver in sections of two tiers each and finish assembling at the venue.  I transport each section in it's own homemade cooler and it works beautifully and assembly is very easy.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Nov 2021 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 8

https://artisincakes.com/products/stacked-cake-round-separator-plate-sps-single-plate-system-with-secure-column-attachment?variant=44661077129

Here you go, the SPS system is sold by Art in the Cakes.  This page shows the separator plates, but down at the very bottom of the page is a link to order the posts that go with them.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Nov 2021 , 1:52am
post #7 of 8

I always liked the 3/4" plastic tube type dowels -- I actually used a variety of different pillars even in the same cake -- 

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 3 Nov 2021 , 4:02pm
post #8 of 8

I love them too.  I've tried a hundred different ways to stack and those worked the best for me.  I bought a ton from GSA before they closed and used to be able to get them from Oasis, but now they carry another brand.  

Thanks, Sandra, I'm going to check that source.  I picked some up recently from DecoPac and I just checked.  It looks like they have some in stock.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%