Cakes Are Easier Than Boxes

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 30 Oct 2021 , 12:06pm by jchuck

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2021 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 29

question: what have you learned the hard way lately or ever?

here's mine -- the cliff notes anyway blush

so as some of you may remember -- i switched from caking to upcycling cigar boxes into beautiful treasure boxes with a removeable tray inside and a secret compartment -- i've learned a lot -- and so often as in always, it is of course the tried and true, never fail, "hard way" -- gagh --

now wood glue is very reliable i mean it can be sanded when dry -- it's great stuff but you gotta wipe the excess off -- because paint over dried glue is shiny blush and that is not particularly attractive -- it's not exactly like applying swiss meringue to cake you'd never guess what was under the buttercream could be plaster of paris or chocolate, similar principle but no -- so then of course you get better at all this slowly and painfully -- but you still gotta fix the initial gooey gluey shiny ones -- so i mod podged over the glue streaks with ribbon blush which will likely make that tray just a bit tight fitting back into the box blush

so you whip out your handy dandy brand new dremel that you are more clueless about than the mini table saw you bought because the other two saws din work out -- anyway dremels have colletts, pcba's and other unknowns as well as shrapnel! good grief shrapnel?! the instruction book has very few pictures -- yoiks -- so the plan here is to learn to use the dremel to grind out the inside of the box where the tray goes in so it fits better blush

but don't get me started on sanding -- i've sanded those boxes and trays ad infinitum -- the struggle is real blush

so what is your "learned it the hard way" story?

ps, all of the smilie faces in this post are lies 

28 replies
-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2021 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 29

oh wow -- i love my dremel -- no, you gotta understand it's a 15 page booklet with not even a half dozen sentences about how to operate it -- i've had it for months but just din totally need it exactly -- except guess what? it'll take the dried glue off!!!! sanding alone does not blush >>> genuinely happy smilie face

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Oct 2021 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 29

I love my dremel, too!  I use it to give myself a pedicure, lol - truth!

I think my most latest "learned the hard way" was how to make a structure/armature for my chocolate sculptures.  It was all crazy hit or miss until I watched several YouTube videos on clay sculpting, which showed how to build an armature.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 22 Oct 2021 , 8:33pm
post #4 of 29

Dremels take some getting used to, but I love mine.  I've used it for many things, and I do wear safety glasses for the cutting wheels that might fly apart. :D

I think my example of learning the hard way is trying to make gumpaste flowers with cutter.  I screw them up pretty much every time.  I need the leaf cutters and love my veiners. 

There are so many more, but they would fill a book. Maybe someday a book could be written in a humorous way about learning things the hard way.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 22 Oct 2021 , 8:35pm
post #5 of 29

SandraSmiley, what YouTube videos did you watch to help you with sculpting.  I am really not good at that, but I have something fairly simple that I want to make that will work best with the proper armature. 

Thank you.

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 22 Oct 2021 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 29

I think dremels and curious children would probably do not get along...But sounds an interesting project Boss...I wish I had the time! Ok, whatever you do with wood, remember to cover your mouth and nose (not from covid ;) , but from the particles getting into your respiratory system!) Same applies if you are using varnishes and chemicals, open those windows, look at the lovely colors of the tree leaves and voila...ready to work! Now, figure out how to upload a picture of those boxes, I want to see the final result!

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Oct 2021 , 12:14am
post #7 of 29

Sugarflowers, there are millions.....well, it seems like millions anyway, and I've watched many.  Just Google whatever in which you are interested.  For instance, before I ever made a horse, I Googled Sculpting Horses and up popped so many great ones.  If you don't see what you want, let me know your subject and I will see if I can find it for you.

-K8memphis Posted 23 Oct 2021 , 1:48pm
post #8 of 29

thank you, reggie, perfect advice! I am as careful as I know how to be, masks, goggles, workshop air purifier, denim apron so I don't carry particles off in my clothing, rinse off my arms even though you can't see any dust -- that last one I figured out when my wrists would get itchy bulb (duh, kate!)

then pictures, hmmm, i'll work on that -- I have four boxes finished more or less and the other twenty-six are in the pipeline -- every time I learn something new I go back and attack the first four with my new procedure or idea -- I really want these to be as nice as possible so I can feel confident about charging an artsy fartsy nice price -- then as I move along they will get easier to make --

it's a real treat not to be concerned with freshness or deadlines -- I don't work on them every day -- 

regarding dremels and children -- yes it would be one more thing to worry about -- I was afraid of mine -- esp after reading the 15 page booklet with six sentences on how to operate it, the rest was caution caution caution -- but really it's a great tool! I should have dusted it off long ago -- would've saved me a lot of time & energy --

ramble ramble 

-K8memphis Posted 23 Oct 2021 , 2:15pm
post #9 of 29

and reggiekins — how are you doing getting the cake ball rolling in new jersey? and how are you all settling in in general? has it been a culture shock from missouri?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 25 Oct 2021 , 12:36am
post #10 of 29

Oh my K8…decorated cigar boxes sound lovely. Wish you could post pics so we could see.

Reggie…have you got your cake business started???

ReginaCoeliB Posted 25 Oct 2021 , 1:31pm
post #11 of 29

Hello ladies.

Is New Jersey different from Kansas...oh yes, sharply! From the vegetation, to the people!

I love it here, greener and very diverse. In our little rural town in KS we were the only South American family...In a town with only three Hispanic families, with the presence of the KKK in a nearby area, never felt safe! But here is a completely different story, people speaks not only Spanish, but Russian, Polish, Korean, Hindu, Congolese, Italian, etc. I really have a feeling of belonging here. Plus I have been able to find all the foods I crave for in every grocery store! Our neighbors here are a total blessing, super sweet and friendly!

As for a business, I just landed here the very time the cottage law was enabled. NJ was the only state that had a total ban of home made food products. The other problem has been that I have grown lazy all these years. Because of immigration issues, I was not allowed to work or perceive any income until last year, when we finally became permanent residents. All the cakes you see in my gallery I charged cero labor, for some of them considerate people gave some change for the ingredients, but others simple took advantage of me and made me work for nothing! Most of them I simply donated to church. Anyway, making those cakes allowed me to develop my expertise in certain areas.

Now, in order to establish a business here, I first need to get a food manager certification, I used to have one, but is expired now! But little by little I'll be working on that. I also have to figure out how to juggle baking and homeschooling the kiddos...God will provide! Then I need to apply for a permit, that seems very simple and provide recipes, filing forms, blah, blah blah... But it takes time and patience...I guess I lack both! But I'll keep you posted on my progress!

Thanks for asking!

Now Boss, POST THOSE PICTURES! I need inspiration these days! Maybe, if you figure out to make a short video of them you can upload it, since the site allow you to upload video to post but not pictures.

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Oct 2021 , 3:10pm
post #12 of 29

Oh Anna, it is horrible to think about the KKK actually being active!  I live in Tennessee and do not believe there has been any active KKK in my lifetime, not that I've ever heard of anyway.  Then again, I've always lived in the country and we are much more peaceable than cities.  

With your ability as a chef and the masterpieces you create, you should be very successful as a baker.  It is doubtful that you will have any competition!  Don't know how you will be able to bake and home school, too!  Two very demanding activities!

jchuck Posted 28 Oct 2021 , 8:51pm
post #13 of 29

Anna I just actually read on one of my fb pages that New Jersey passed a cottage law. And I agree with Sandra that you’re so talented…chef and cake wise, I can’t see you not developing a successful  business. But homeschooling and running a business would be difficult. 

And I absolutely could not imagine the KKK being practically living around the corner. How scary, and so awful. Don’t understand that kind of hate, never did, never will.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2021 , 9:44pm
post #14 of 29

reggie -- i am so glad you are in a more internationally flavored area! 

if this link works you can see a couple of my boxes -- if it doesn't work you can go to 'woodwork talk', a message board and the link will possibly work -- otherwise my name on there is "turntable" and there's a picture in the discussion called, 'my first post and a question' -- easy to find -- hope you don't have to join smile to gain access -- idk 

i have been out of pocket -- sorry it took so long to reply

(4) my first post and a question, please | Woodworking Talk

(4) Woodworking Talk

blush

jchuck Posted 28 Oct 2021 , 11:52pm
post #15 of 29

K8memphis I’ve clicked on your links, but there’s rheems of remarks…couldn’t seem to find yours??

-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2021 , 11:58pm
post #16 of 29

well idk — thank you for looking first of all — but when I click on the first link,  although I’m already logged in as a member, I get right to that thread and just scroll down for the picture — idk

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 12:00am
post #17 of 29

I’ll try it on my tablet where I’m logged off… brb

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 12:05am
post #18 of 29

junie, at all -- forget the second link -- click on the first part of the first link -- it took me straight to it, then just scroll down --'till you see boxes

ReginaCoeliB Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 12:11am
post #19 of 29

Boss, I clicked on the first link and I got to see the pictures!!!!

Boss, you are soooo talented, those boxes are super classy, very well done, colors, details, textures, everything! Sure more challenging than cakes!

Thanks for the link...I hope all you dear ladies can take a look!

After doing such a great job boss... Icing a cake will be.... a piece of cake!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 1:08am
post #20 of 29

reggie -- you so funny!

and thank you very much heart_eyes

SandraSmiley Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 2:46am
post #21 of 29

Oh, they are gorgeous, Kate!  Seems they would be hard on the old hands.  Beautiful ideas for cakes, lol!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 11:40am
post #22 of 29

so sweet of you, sandra, -- if I knew then what I know now it wouldn't be hard at all -- actually getting the wood glue bottle open daily  has been my toughest physical challenge lol -- I'd love to 'go to market' for this holiday season but there's been So Much going on and my husband has cataract surgery coming up -- I'm in recovery for a lumbar fracture and all that that entails --

I feel like switching gears entirely and set up my workroom for painting just for a refreshing change -- also because I feel I have all the kinks worked out of making the treasure boxes to confidently put it aside and slide back in down the road with a good grip on things --

anyhow -- thank you!

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 11:46am
post #23 of 29

and I wanna do a couple cigar box purses -- there are some with lovely curved sides that would make adorable purses!

I enjoy the engineering and design -- I'll see how full I can get my stockroom she!ves going forward into the next year --

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 7:17pm
post #24 of 29

I went by the cigar store to find a couple boxes to keep me inspired to make a couple purses down the line -- boxes are usually $3 a pop and it goes to charity -- no sweat -- anyway -- they gave me five for a buck! so I got 15 but none of the curvey sided boxes that I wanted -- wah wah -- so I'll just have to get out to other locations  blush my cross to bear smile  

jchuck Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 10:00pm
post #25 of 29

Ahhhhh…..Kate…soooooo beautiful. Talented are you!!!! I scrolled down and found them. Although I dearly love cake decorating, would be nice to start another hobby. I use to craft a lot in my younger days. ❤️

-K8memphis Posted 29 Oct 2021 , 11:53pm
post #26 of 29

ohhh thank you, junie!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 30 Oct 2021 , 1:08am
post #27 of 29

Kate, I've been getting the painting bug too.  It has been years since I painted anything except on fondant, but I recently purchased a gorgeous, 500 piece pastels set and can't wait to get some boards and start painting.

I hear you on the hands!  I finished my two cakes for Sue's birthday last night and I believe the hardest thing I did was to wire together the vines for my pumpkin cake.  I just could not hold the wires together.  Oh well, done and served!

-K8memphis Posted 30 Oct 2021 , 1:39am
post #28 of 29

sandra -- ikr! my right pinkie is not cooperating at all anymore -- awol lol

jchuck Posted 30 Oct 2021 , 12:06pm
post #29 of 29

Arthritis is a beggar, eh!!!! I started taking Kirkland brand Glucosamine + Chondroitin & MSM. And collagen every day too. Huge difference in my hands. Can’t believe the improvement. Still have the ugly nodules, there not going away. But don’t have the pain and stiffness. I wish I could say as much for my hips, especially the right hip. I have severe arthritis in that hip. I continue to do my pilates exercises, which I have to modify for my right side and specific hip exercises. The clicking is getting uncomfortable. I know eventually I will have to have a hip replacement on the right side. Going to put it off as long as I can. 

Sandra sounds exciting you’re beginning to paint again. No doubt, you will turn out some beautiful pieces. ❤️

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%