Lack Of Motivation

Lounge By Sugarflowers Updated 16 Dec 2021 , 10:50pm by Sugarflowers

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 28 Sep 2021 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 33

I love going to cake decorating competitions, but almost every year it seems that I lose confidence in my ability to do nice work.  I could really use some words of encouragement.  I know it is selfish/silly to ask, but kind words would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Michele Foster

32 replies
mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 28 Sep 2021 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 33

Michele,

If you are anything like me, you are your own worst enemy/critic.  I browsed through your photos, you're an amazing decorator!  Don't listen to that pesky little voice in your head that tells you that "you can't"!  YOU ABSOLUTELY CAN!

Keep pushing yourself to do more!

Christina :-)

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 Sep 2021 , 10:57pm
post #3 of 33

Like mrsmac888 I looked at your cake pictures. You are very talented. Pick a subject, and just start. Once you do, your creative juices will kick in. 

Anneliese671 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anneliese671 Posted 28 Sep 2021 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 33

I haven't even looked at your pictures. I just want you to know that I named my mixer, "Michele" after you. This is because, years and years ago, I made your fondant recipe: my first time making it, and my first time making fondant. It was so fantastic, I was elated! and named my mixer after you. Then, my husband bought a gigantic concrete mixer from Germany and had it shipped here to Guam to enable his company to make concrete. He named it "Michele" after my mixer, after you. I have never had a failed batch of fondant because of that recipe, and so far, Michele the concrete mixer is cranking out a high production. You are famous here on the little island of Guam in the Pacific. You are an inspiration and have followers all around the world! Cake decorators (and production managers) are behind you - and cheering for you!!

Sugarflowers Posted 29 Sep 2021 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 33

Oh my! Such fabulous replies. Thank you SO, SO much. I have tears of joy. I am beyond honored by your wonderful words. 

THANK YOU!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 29 Sep 2021 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 33

Hi Michele,  Your creations look fantastic, so pack you fears away and give it your best shot!  I love to compete, but am unable to travel, so have only competed on-line.  To me, the greatest thing about the big cake shows is meeting the other decorators and making lots of cake friends.  Also, seeing the work of others can help you grow in your own art.....and it's fun looking at it!  Keep in mind that judging follows strict guidelines, so be sure you follow them to a T.  From what I've seen, judging can be pretty harsh, so do not let it discourage you.  Be guided by the judges feedback and apply it to future projects.

Whether or not you win, you certainly will not disgrace yourself!  Most of all, HAVE FUN!  

How awesome is it to have someone, somewhere in the world, name their mixer and cement mixer after you!  I bet no one else in the world has ever earned that honor!

Sugarflowers Posted 29 Sep 2021 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 33

mrsmac888, thank you for you compliments. I no longer sell cakes due to a variety of reasons, so I really don't get any feedback on my work. Thank you again.

Michele

Sugarflowers Posted 29 Sep 2021 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 33

Anneliese671,

WOW! Naming your mixer after me! That is so unreal, as well as for your husband to name a concrete mixer Michele. You brought tears of joy to my eyes. 

I am also very pleased that you like my fondant recipe.  I took me about a year of experimentation to make it the way I wanted it. Supplies here in the State have been watered down a LOT, so I have to keep adjusting the recipe to compensate.

Your comments really made my day.

Thank you,

Michele

Sugarflowers Posted 29 Sep 2021 , 7:19pm
post #9 of 33

jchuck, I am hoping to be inspired to make beautiful work for the next competition I plan to attend.  So many times I just don't have enough confidence in my work.  Thank you.

Sugarflowers Posted 29 Sep 2021 , 7:25pm
post #10 of 33

SandraSmiley, I have been competing in cake shows since 1995, with varying degrees of success, less so now that in years past. You are right, judges can be very harsh. There have only been a few times that I disagreed with the judging of my work. In those cases, I look for the judge that was the harshest and ask how I can improve.

Going to the cake shows is such a treat for me. I have many wonderful friends in the cake world and I get to see most of them at the shows.

I was blown away by the comment that a kitchen mixer and a concrete mixer were named after me. I don't know if I will ever fully grasp the honor of that. 

Thank you for taking the time to comment and to give encouragement.

Michele

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2021 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 33

first of all I think you are very brave to be so candid -- i don't think there's any amount of encouragement I can deliver that will make an impact on what I think you need -- you need to know you are a great cake decorator, as evidenced by your photos on here -- I can think it all day every day but unless you think it you're not where you say you want to be --

you need to look in the mirror and convince yourself -- if that's what you want -- but you don't have to compete either -- just keep telling yourself why you're awesome and you will believe it in time -- make sure you say it out loud sometimes -- send yourself some flowers -- buy some new clothes -- 

you're awesome!

Sugarflowers Posted 29 Sep 2021 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 33

K8memphis

I think you really nailed the problem on the head. Having confidence in myself has always been a bit of an issue. As a kid, I was never good enough (I wasn't my brother). What you are suggesting is a good idea, but it will be quite a hill for me to climb. I will strap on my boots and start hiking.

Thank you for your sage advice,

Michele

-K8memphis Posted 29 Sep 2021 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 33

it gets easier -- 

get yourself a cute t-shirt -- name it your "I am awesome" shirt -- wear it!

when you go over the line a bit, and you will, and become a little cocky forgive yourself now, in advance -- and then congratulate your good self for doing a fine job of loving michelle sparkling_heart

best of the best to you 

Sugarflowers Posted 30 Sep 2021 , 3:48am
post #14 of 33

K8memphis,

Thank you for confidence boost. 

jchuck Posted 30 Sep 2021 , 6:59pm
post #15 of 33

Ahhhh Sugarflowers… took me YEARS to get rid of the negative remarks tape recording playing in my head. I’ve learned that hurting people hurt other people…..including children. Parents usually mimic how they were criticized. Loved my Mom but she was not one for compliments. Being Scottish Mom believed in being tough, so as to develop a swelled head. Oh my. Once I started my baking, I actually got complimented how much more adventurous I was than her. I’ll take that. I totally agree with K8memphis…get that t-shirt…I’m awesome. For years, and even still, say to myself …I’m God’s workmanship, I’m loved, I am unique. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Sep 2021 , 9:30pm
post #16 of 33

Quote by @Sugarflowers on 2 days ago

I love going to cake decorating competitions, but almost every year it seems that I lose confidence in my ability to do nice work.  I could really use some words of encouragement.  I know it is selfish/silly to ask, but kind words would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Michele Foster

Hello Michelle, 

It seems that I remember buying one of your books years ago to help me learn how to make homemade fondant & cake decorating. You were far advanced back then and are  probably now............ still way ahead of many of us.  Keep up the good work.  You are inspirational to an old timer like me.

-K8memphis Posted 30 Sep 2021 , 10:53pm
post #17 of 33

mb, mb, So Good to 'see' you!

MBalaska Posted 2 Oct 2021 , 3:22am
post #18 of 33

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 day ago

Hello Kate, glad you are doing well.  It certainly is easy to understand how Michelle feels, it's been years since I've done any serious decorating.  All my baked goods recipients are still in Alaska, so I've no one to bake for here in Florida.  I bought a set of cutters and veiners to make southern magnolia sugar flowers and I've not touched them in 2 whole years. It's rare that I even look at the cake decorating sites to see the lovely adorable goodies. @SandraSmiley just blows my mind when I see her unbelievable art.

Just out of curiosity, why are the same photos up on the gallery at the home page??? The same photos have been there for months.

jchuck Posted 2 Oct 2021 , 6:09pm
post #19 of 33

MBalaska

Jackie, owner of the site had some medical challenges over 1 1/2 years ago. You can read hear.  https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/867270/thank-you-all-so-much-i-am-still-here  The strange thing to me is as the seasons change, so does the focus on the main page. For example, you see fall/Halloween based tutorials and content. So someone has to update the site to feature this content. So cake photo gallery  has literally been stuck since May/2020. So why are the features current, but the photo gallery is not????? All the other features seem to work. Forums, blog, etc. Although searching for photos can be tricky. What I thought was noticeably absent from Jackie’s post, is any mention of her husband Heath??? No mention of him in her recovery. Or signing the forum post??? Of course, that’s extremely personal. And just because Jackie didn’t mention, doesn’t mean he’s not around. 

-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2021 , 6:31pm
post #20 of 33

I don't mention my husband -- lots of people don't mention their spouses -- please

-K8memphis Posted 2 Oct 2021 , 7:39pm
post #21 of 33

Quote by @MBalaska on 15 hours ago

Quote by @-K8memphis on 1 day ago

Hello Kate, glad you are doing well.  It certainly is easy to understand how Michelle feels, it's been years since I've done any serious decorating.  All my baked goods recipients are still in Alaska, so I've no one to bake for here in Florida.  I bought a set of cutters and veiners to make southern magnolia sugar flowers and I've not touched them in 2 whole years. It's rare that I even look at the cake decorating sites to see the lovely adorable goodies. @SandraSmiley just blows my mind when I see her unbelievable art.

Just out of curiosity, why are the same photos up on the gallery at the home page??? The same photos have been there for months.

yeah, idk, mb -- it's a vintage website -- kind of steam punk -- some things will work and some things used to work -- but we love it anyhow --

jchuck Posted 2 Oct 2021 , 9:30pm
post #22 of 33

That’s sooooooo very true K8memphis/Kate

to everyone talks about/refers to their partners. My hubby is a friendly guy, but private. I stand admonished. 

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Oct 2021 , 5:00pm
post #23 of 33

I think there is probably a preprogramed algorithm which changes the seasonal features on the site.  The same things come up year after year, so I doubt there is any hands on involved.  We've been unable to upload pictures for a LONG time.

Thank you for such a sweet compliment, MBalaska!  I've done art since I was old enough to hold a pencil and it just translated into sugar.

-K8memphis Posted 3 Oct 2021 , 8:12pm
post #24 of 33

june, no no no no no -- you're just concerned like we all are -- plus amazed that we're all still here in one piece for the most part -- I think she still works on it fighting spam-o-wham -- I know that usually when I go to report spam it's already been dealt with so somebody's doing something behind the scenes...I think -- I mean pretty sure -- 

Sugarflowers Posted 3 Oct 2021 , 10:16pm
post #25 of 33

MBalaska, thank you for your sweet comment. I am grateful to have such great support from other cakers. All of the comments have helped tremendously. I have been working on some gerbera daisies. I've never made these before, but I thought the look was perfect for my overall cake idea.

I have family that lives in northern Florida. They might be interested in ordering cakes from you. They are in Jacksonville and Ponte Vedra.

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Oct 2021 , 2:26am
post #26 of 33

I agree, -K8, someone is still keeping the spam at bay.  Hopefully, one day it will come back.

MBalaska Posted 30 Nov 2021 , 6:01am
post #27 of 33

@jchuck interesting.  Thanks for the info. When I logged on tonight I was surprised to still see the same old photos on the home page.  Some illnesses just take over a persons' world & their perspective changes. I do remember reading some of Jackies story. My guy is quiet too, like John Wayne in the movie "The Quiet Man".

@k8memphis glad to hear that you are doing ok and on to new adventures in creativity. On the other thread you sounded so enthusiastic for your new hobby. 

@sandrasmiley You're very welcome & thanks for sharing the beauty that you see in the world, with us. May your magic fingers keep working for decades........

@sugarflowers I've made gerbera daisies, very time consuming, but I failed to give them any life.  I'd have to do it again and make them less like little soldiers standing at attention. Your family is just a few minutes away from me here in the World Golf Village area. However, I must have felt a little homesick for this Cake Central page today, It's been ages since I logged in.  I did another purge of the cake decorating stuff this week and took about 20 kitchen sized trash bags out to the dumpster.  There will be little "caking" in my future.  I kept all my sugar flower making goodies though, I just could NOT give up my sugar flowers.

daisies - Cake by MBalaska - CakesDecor

Sugarflowers Posted 30 Nov 2021 , 8:24pm
post #28 of 33

MBalaska, I gave up on the Gerbera Daisies, they just looked so awful to me. I spent several weeks trying to make them look realistic, they really did not. I was glad to throw them away. Yours looked much better than mine. Mine looked very stiff and unnatural.

I gave up selling about 15 years ago, but I couldn't give up the flowers either. I still like entering cake shows. That's always been a source of joy for me.

Thank you for your time in answering.

Michele

MBalaska Posted 30 Nov 2021 , 11:11pm
post #29 of 33

Thank You. I had to use the 'Laped' Italian 'Daisy' modeling paste for the daisies & the gerbera daisies.  It's very rubbery, rolls really thin, and stays together for those tiny little thin petals.  You can work them pretty hard with the rubbery Laped.  Sugar flowers are just wonderful, aren't they?  You have to be pretty crazy to sit hunched over a little table with a tiny tool, rolling and curling each little tiny petal to try to get some veins & curl into them.  Spending a week to make all the parts of a single flower, drying, steaming, painting. Perhaps you've now inspired me to buy some fresh paste & get to work  play again. There are still boxes and boxes of silicone molds I've made for myself, petal drying shapes I've cut & formed out of thin foams, & styro foam bricks with straws in them........ all made for different shapes & sizes of flowers & leaves.  

'Laped' paste for daisies

'Platinum' paste for super thin petals

'Nhora De La Pava' for most everything else

homemade'NIcholas Lodge' for centers for sunflowers, daisies, poppies, leaves. 

What a hobby .............. Yes, it's a source of joy 

-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2021 , 4:27pm
post #30 of 33

thank you, mb, the encouragement is mucho appreciatoto (i made up that last word) blush

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%