How Much Fondant Will I Need For This Sheet Cake?

Baking By Zbowles Updated 26 Sep 2021 , 7:04pm by -K8memphis

Zbowles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zbowles Posted 25 Sep 2021 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 5

I'm not really privy to sheet cakes so I'm a little lost about the amount of fondant ill need. So the cake measures 24"1/2 x 18" not accounting for the height on the sides so maybe more like 30"x24 is more accurate if I figure the height is around 3 inches or so since it's two sheet cakes stacked. How much fondant? Currently I have around 7 pounds of black fondant...will I need more? Thanks in advance! 

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Sep 2021 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 5

Honestly, I've never covered a rectangular sheet cake, but I have made a guitar and a 2D My Little Pony in similar sizes and I would guess that seven pounds would be enough.  I would certainly try rolling it out to the required 30" x 24" before I bought more.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Sep 2021 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 5
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 26 Sep 2021 , 1:13am
post #4 of 5

I covered a 18 x 20 sheet cake. And your 7 lbs of fondant is more than enough. You will probably need 2 1/2-3 lbs max. There a beggar to cover. Not sure I’d be covering another sheet anytime soon.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Sep 2021 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 5

idk -- earlene says she starts with 8 pounds for a two layer 14" square which is considerably smaller -- literally 7# may well be more than enough after it's all said & done but to get that monster on straight without much hang over would do me in -- God would close the ears of the angels for all the expletives i would 'share'-- i would want to roll out plenty so i didn't have to arm wrestle the fondant into place over the cake just so, 'cause i didn't have enough rolled out -- 

use any amount you see fit but roll it plenty big like 34x28 -- two inches extra all around --

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%