Cowboy Hat On Cake….carved From Cake Or Rice Krispie?

Baking By Mmmelliott Updated 22 Aug 2021 , 9:27pm by -K8memphis

Mmmelliott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mmmelliott Posted 18 Aug 2021 , 9:20pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone,

I am making a cowgirl cake for my 8 year old granddaughter and she wants the top to be a cowboy hat.   I have never carved cake or Rice Krispie treats…which is easier?  I would cover with fondant afterwards.

Thanks in advance

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Aug 2021 , 10:17pm
post #2 of 5

I would make the brim from fondant + either gum paste or cornstarch — make it days if not a couple weeks in advance — I’d make at least two — the top of the hat could be either cake or rice krispies- yes covered in fondant so when you color the fondant color enough for all that — or just paint it all afterwards —

what size cake & hat?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Aug 2021 , 2:28am
post #3 of 5

I've made a few hats of different kinds and I made them from fondant with Tylose added to make it very firm.  Like -K8 said, it needs to dry for several days.  You can use three or four thicknesses of aluminum foil to shape the way you want the brim and let the fondant dry resting on the foil form.

The first hat that I did (one of my first cakes) was for a Red Hat Lady's birthday.  I actually used a cake plate for the brim and covered it with fondant.  It was a cheat, but if you wanted to make a hat cake, it works.  I tried to upload a picture of it, but the site would not allow it.  It should be in my photos, one of the oldest pages.  It is, of course, red with purple flowers.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Aug 2021 , 12:58am
post #4 of 5

I was mistaken, the red hat cake is actually on the first page of my images.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Aug 2021 , 9:27pm
post #5 of 5

i got this from mmmelloit -- three days ago -- din see it till today -- so since today is sunday -- i'll just ask -- what did you wind up doing and how did it go -- please mmmelliott start a new thread when it won't let you answer! thanks -- hope it went well!!!!!

"Mmmelliott 3 days ago

Actions 

Hi K8,

For some reason, I can’t reply to you as a comment.  I’m thinking a two tier cake 8 and 10 inch with the hat being on the 8 inch cake.  I looked at a two tier 6 and 8, but I think the smaller hat might be harder?

The cake is for Sunday so I plan on making hat in advance before that.

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%