How To Stop An Isomalt Sail From Tipping Over?

Baking By Mmmelliott Updated 17 Aug 2021 , 4:25pm by kakeladi

Mmmelliott Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mmmelliott Posted 16 Aug 2021 , 5:27am
post #1 of 4

Hey everyone!  I made my first isomalt sail on a cream cheese frosted cake today.  It looked cool but it wasn’t very stable.  I made it on a silicone mat over the neck of a rum bottle but I saw other videos that used a drinking class so maybe my base wasn’t wide enough???  I tried to use some of the cream cheese icing to fix it to the cake but as soon as the icing warmed up it started to get tippy.  I didn’t think I could put it in the fridge to harden it to the icing either.  So do you think it was the size of the base, the cream cheese icing, or is there something I should fix to the bottom of the sail to anchor it to the cake?  I’m just a home baker,  making birthday cakes for family, but I do like dabbling in cool looking cakes

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Aug 2021 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 4

Please don't call yourself "just" a home baker!  Some of the most beautiful creations I've ever seen were done by hobby bakers.  Besides, I am sure yoru first priority is deliciousness, so that makes you a pro in my book!

You could try using melted chocolate or candy melts to hold the sail in place.  You could even use melted chocolate to glue a cake pop stick (or similar) to the bottom of the sail to insert into the cake.  I agree, it probably would not be a good idea to put it in the fridge.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Aug 2021 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 4

you have a conflict there where cream cheese icing needs to stay cold and the boiled sugar needs low humidity -- which of course means no fridge -- and yes chocolate probably works but I haven't worked with the sugar in a long time -- but suffice it to say -- it pulls the moisture out of whatever touches or the air that surrounds it 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Aug 2021 , 4:25pm
post #4 of 4

Hi there:)

K8 knows her stuff.  I’ve not tried isomalt but one thing K8 didn’t address is the ? Re the base of the piece.  I think that has a lot to do with the problem.  K8s suggestion to attach a “stick”  is the better way to go. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%