New Oven Help!

Baking By Julie5 Updated 21 Jul 2021 , 6:27pm by littlejewel

Julie5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie5 Posted 18 Jul 2021 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 6

Hey guys, 

I’m a hobby baker, and I bake out of my home kitchen. I’ve had an electric oven my whole life and just remodeled my kitchen for the first time in 20 years. My husband ordered the appliances and someone I ended up with a gas oven. Anyone bake with gas? Is there anything I need to do different or any tips to make my cakes come out the same? I use a scratch recipe as well as a WASC recipe a lot of the time. I read somewhere to just be sure to rotate the pans around the oven but I never open the oven until the cakes are 90% done or the always fall and sink in the middle. Should I just give up and order a new one already? Lol

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2021 , 1:36pm
post #2 of 6

husbands! blush

congrats on the renovation!

but I have baked with gas mostly and I didn't rotate my pans for the same reason -- the deal in any oven of course is if it bakes evenly -- I'd read up on all the potential adjustments that can be made and do some testing and adjusting -- should be fine -- fingers crossed for you -- but if it's not yet installed... why not replace it, no?

Julie5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie5 Posted 19 Jul 2021 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 6

I believe the reason he got it instead of a dual fuel was that the wait time for the dual was like 5 months longer. But I’m still considering it. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jul 2021 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 6

tough call

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jul 2021 , 7:29pm
post #5 of 6

I have used gas probably 90% of my life.  Like K8 I never rotate pans.  Right now We’re about 75% finished remodeling the kitchen :). I’ve only been here 5-6 years but it was built in the mid 1970s.  having to get used to a new stove.  The 1st thing baked was a fruit dump cake — no problem.  Then I did a 10”x3” cake. Seemed to be fine until the last 3-4 minutes when the

center fell leaving an indent about the size of a quarter, maybe 1/2” deep.  I never get to serve/eat anything I bake so won’t know how it effects it.  I’ve never used a pan that size before.  Just know even new ovens may need to be recalibrated.  So if you have any problems do have a service man calibrate it.  Also almost all stoves/ovens have hot spots.  It will take time to learn where they are, how different it is from the rest of the oven etc.  

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 21 Jul 2021 , 6:27pm
post #6 of 6

I used electric stove for most of my life until I got married.  The oven was the easiest part of the  for me to get used to using. The burners took me a while to get familiar with. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%