Lollipop Cake Question

Decorating By JPepper Updated 22 Jun 2021 , 11:43pm by kakeladi

JPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPepper Posted 17 Jun 2021 , 4:25am
post #1 of 6

I'm making a lollipop cake for a friend and she just dropped off the lollipops and I'm surprised at how heavy they are!  I'll be making an 8 inch, 3-layer cake with American buttercream and I'm concerned the lollipops might fall over or rip through the cake. Has anyone made a cake like this successfully without the lollipops falling over? I see lots of nice pictures on the internet but you can never fully trust a blog! LOL!

Thanks!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2021 , 4:23pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know exactly what a lollipop cake is so forgive me if I'm off the mark here --  but if you have something too heavy for the cake counter balance it with something -- for example if the pops stick up out of the top -- place the whole cake on an 8" x 1" slice of foam and insert the pops all the way through the cake into the foam -- if the sticks are too short for that -- extend them with skewers or popsicle sticks --

if they attach to the sides -- put them upside down and put a bow on the end of the stick --

or you could put the foam layer on the top of the cake and stick the pops in there -- cardboard would work too -- then ice over it or decorate it with fondant or whatever and advise the lady to remove before serving --

if they are to stand up around the sides -- use an extra big cake board and punch a small hole in it for the each of the pop sticks -- then lean them against the side of the cake --

idk blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Jun 2021 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 6

K8 those are excellent suggestions.  I think what this poster is making is a cake with the candy suckers sticking up on the top — probably with lots of other candies. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jun 2021 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 6

thank you, lynniekins green_heart 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Jun 2021 , 5:29pm
post #5 of 6

I agree, the foam or cardboard on top is brilliant.  I would just drive them into the cakeboard beneath, or if they are not too heavy, insert a straw all the way through the cake, then insert the sucker stick into the straw.  I find the straws to be pretty good protection against tearing the cake.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Jun 2021 , 11:43pm
post #6 of 6

Yes what Sandra just said especially if you squeeze some b’cream in ea straw 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%