Storing Fondant Decorations

Decorating By Carabella Updated 22 Jun 2021 , 5:24pm by SandraSmiley

Carabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carabella Posted 13 Jun 2021 , 7:07am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I made some fondant ( mixed with cmc )  butterflies and then I attached picks to them. I have stood them up in some floral foam. Do I have to store them away or can I leave them out. The party is in 2 weeks but they aren’t going into a cake. My daughter is having a Miraculous themed party and I’m going to be inserting them between roses. As is winter here, do you think they will sag or once it’s dry, it’s dry? Thank you in advance! 

5 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 13 Jun 2021 , 11:46am
post #2 of 6

Once they are dry and hard, keep them covered in a simple plastic container with a lid on. The lid can be loose. It is important to protect the pieces from humidity, heat, dust, bugs, direct sunlight.... and hungry children! Never put them on the fridge! They will last for years!

Carabella Posted 16 Jun 2021 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you so much! 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 17 Jun 2021 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 6

I agree  with ReginaCoeliB in part. Place fondant decorations in the container, but don’t put the lid on unless container in in a cool, dry place. If it’s the slightest bit warm, condensation will build up inside the container. And fondant hates condensation….pieces will wilt. 

Carabella Posted 18 Jun 2021 , 12:06am
post #5 of 6

Thank you

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 22 Jun 2021 , 5:24pm
post #6 of 6

For only a short while like two weeks, I would leave them standing in the floral foam and drape a paper towel over them to keep off the dust.  That being said, that will only work if your room is free of ants (and such) and no little fingers can reach them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%