Ugly Cake Topper

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 4 Jun 2021 , 4:59pm by MamaGeese

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 26 May 2021 , 2:38pm
post #1 of 6

This is more of a discussion point than a question, because I'm pretty sure I know what ya'll are going to say....

I'm doing a wedding cake for this weekend.  It's a pretty design.  4 tiers with a navy blue spray of gumpaste roses with a few gold and white roses as filler, which I made.  It should turn out to be quite pretty and elegant.  The bride to be dropped off the cake base and topper yesterday.  I  was a little surprised mostly at the topper.  It is a set of chess pieces made of plastic.  The king and queen chess pieces.  It's not the idea of the chess pieces, it's the fact that they are really, really gaudy looking.  Like something a three year old would play with.  They do not (in my opinion) match the look of the cake at all.  I know I have to use them, but I really am confused about why someone would "dumb down" a cake.  Do any of you ever just say NO.  Find something else?  I'm trying to think of a way to dress them up, but I'm not coming up with anything other than making a couple of small roses and filler flowers to go around the base of the topper.

Thanks for listening.  
Christina  :-)

5 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 26 May 2021 , 2:59pm
post #2 of 6

Well, maybe an heirloom piece with a high sentimental value... a tradition within the family... who knows! Just be sure to take pictures with and without the topper. Voila!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 May 2021 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 6

I personally don't care for toppers at all, but that is my opinion.  It would be nice if we could just make the cakes the way we think they should be, but the customer does have a right to her vision, so we do our best to make it work.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 27 May 2021 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 6

I had to deal with that a lot at my last job.  They would bring in something their family made, or something that was sentimental to them, but didn't in any way go with the cake or their theme.  It's their cake and wedding, so it's whatever they want.  I just tried to get a photo before it went on.  I have one that stands out as the worst, but I don't think I can post a photo in this reply.  

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 28 May 2021 , 9:44pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks ladies!  This cake topper is neither hand made or a family heirloom.  Of course I'll just go ahead and put it on, thanks for the ideas of taking pictures before!  LOL

Have a great weekend!

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 4 Jun 2021 , 4:59pm
post #6 of 6

Ugh! Don't you hate doing "tacky" ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%