Drip Cake Part Ii

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 24 May 2021 , 1:38pm by mrsmac888

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 21 May 2021 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 5

Ladies,

So, I'm doing another drip cake and am praying this one does not have the same issues as my last one!

In my last post, I was told that the cake needs to be very cold before putting on the drip in order to more control the speed of the drip.  It is in the freezer now.  Of course, it's rainy and very humid here.  I have the air conditioner on and the kitchen ceiling fan on.  I just know this cake is going to sweat when I take it out of the freezer.  Should I take it out of the freezer now and let it come back to room temperature or should I attempt to get the drip on before it sweats???

4 replies
ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 21 May 2021 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 5

I do my drip on cold cakes, I have never attempted frozen. But it all depends what kind of dripping are you using.

mrsmac888 Posted 21 May 2021 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 5

Regina,

Hi.  I pulled it from the freezer and put it in the fridge.  I should also mention that the cake is a semi-naked. So, it's not fully covered in buttercream.  I picked up some Cake Craft cake drip to give that a try.

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 22 May 2021 , 12:38am
post #4 of 5

Well my dear, once you remove a cake from the freezer and put it on the fridge, it takes a few hours to get to fridge temperature. I have never use a commercial cake drip, never I have use my homemade version in a semi-naked cake. Having a smooth o rough surface definitely will have an effect on the final gloss and the way the drip flows. In addition to that, as I mentioned before, it also depends on the key ingredient that makes your drip set. Mine is gelatin based, but others are fat based. Both need cold temperature to set, but the presence of sweat will affect the fat based more than the gelatin based.

mrsmac888 Posted 24 May 2021 , 1:38pm
post #5 of 5

Regina,

The cake was a success!  Thank you for your advice.  The commercial "drip" was okay, but had it's definite drawbacks.  I don't think I'd suggest it to anyone who has used regular ganache, which is what I've use in the past.  I'd love to know how you make your gelatin based drip.  I find ganache hard to work with when you want a smooth surface on your cake.  It sets up too fast for me and I can never get it really smooth.  I'm getting slow in my old age!  LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%