Buttercream Issues

Decorating By traiaberg Updated 21 May 2021 , 4:36am by kakeladi

traiaberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traiaberg Posted 13 May 2021 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 3

I have been using the same buttercream recipe why I don’t know because it causes me so much grief. I live in a humid area for one. I fine my cake sweats and gets greasy at the base. The other issue is I’m not sure of the appropriate consistency for different uses. Crumb coat should be thinner? The second coat also thinner consistency? One time I made a unicorn cake with a flower half on top half on face and the flower fell off. From ready many posts i have read I think I have a terrible recipe. It’s 4 cups of the fine sugar, 2/3 cups crisco, 1-2 tablespoons corn syrup a few tablespoons of milk, 2 tsp vanilla and 18-22 tablespoons of butter. I’m not sure of the correct butter to crisco ratio. Should I eliminate the corn syrup and use meringue powder instead to stabilize it? I’m making another unicorn cake and don’t want the flowers falling off again! Any help is greatly appreciated a better recipe for this project would be nice. 

Thank you

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2021 , 4:36am
post #2 of 3

So sorry no one has been around to answer your question.  If you still come around checking for an answer respond to this & I’ll try to help.  Don’t want to post a big long reply if if flew the coop ;;) 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2021 , 4:36am
post #3 of 3

So sorry no one has been around to answer your question.  If you still come around checking for an answer respond to this & I’ll try to help.  Don’t want to post a big long reply if if flew the coop ;;) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%