Drip Cake Dilemma

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 6 May 2021 , 12:00am by jchuck

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 3 May 2021 , 10:01pm
post #1 of 10

As is the problem right now, I cannot upload a picture, so I will try to describe the problem as best I can.  It was a cool cake, other than the big air bubble!  Wish you guys could see it!  LOL

I used Ghirardelli white chocolate chips and melted them with 50/50 ratio of chips to heavy cream.  Waited for it to cool to 90 degrees and did the drip around the edge then added the drip to the top.  It looked great after the pour and I put it in the fridge overnight to set so that I could add the gold.  When I removed it from the fridge it had a big air bubble in it.  How the heck did that happen?  It was poured over AMBC.

TIA!

9 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 4 May 2021 , 12:05am
post #2 of 10

I never refrigerate a cake after a drip because of the temperature change. Chocolate sets fine at room temperature and doesn’t need to go in the fridge. Perhaps you can melt a bit more chocolate, and using a toothpick, or tip  of a sharp knife, fill the hole in. Once hard, rub gently with your finger to smooth. Hope this makes sense.

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 4 May 2021 , 12:44am
post #3 of 10

Now, trying to picture the scene a little better, the bubble was on the ganache layer, between the ganache and the BC or under the BC? By the way what is AMBC? American Buttercream?

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 4 May 2021 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 10

JChuck, Yes, I was hesitant to put it in the fridge, as I had never heard of doing that.  But that is what the tutorial said to do.  Next time, I won't refrigerate it.

Regina, The bubble showed up between the buttercream and the ganache.  I went ahead and delivered the cake as it was.  Half of the 8" cake was covered in buttercream succulents, so the bubble was semi hidden.  It was okay, but in the future I need to do better.  You all know how we are!  Perfectionists!  

AMBC= American Buttercream, I think!  LOL

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 May 2021 , 5:54pm
post #5 of 10

I refrigerate all of my cakes, regardless of finish except gum paste flowers, which are added after removing from the fridge.

ReginaCoeliB Posted 4 May 2021 , 9:54pm
post #6 of 10

Now my explanation goes like this: the air that was trapped on that bubble came out of where? If you say it was between the AMBC and the drip, is because it was under the buttercream and was trapped under the ganache, that is less porous (especially after putting it on the fridge!)

Ma'am , my explanation is that your cake just burped air trapped during the filling of frosting process, and as I said, the burp was just trapped by the seal made by the drip layer.

Talking about refrigeration... well you are working with dairy, especially heavy cream, you MUST keep that refrigerated! Naugthy bacterias love dairy! On that, I do like Sandra does!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2021 , 1:37am
post #7 of 10

I call them cake farts and there is no rhyme nor reason for them -hot cold room temp they just happen -- we've tested all different kinds of ways and they just happen -- trapped air collects in one spot or another and... phthaaat 

ReginaCoeliB Posted 5 May 2021 , 3:22pm
post #8 of 10

Farts??? oh boss, you are so classy! ;)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2021 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 10

for sure blush

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 6 May 2021 , 12:00am
post #10 of 10

Yes, sometimes cake farts just happen!!!! Ya gotta create a air space so cake can breathe….

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%