Mottled Chocolate Buttercream ! Solutions?

Decorating By WalkersNC Updated 28 Apr 2021 , 2:17am by SandraSmiley

WalkersNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WalkersNC Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 8

My chocolate crusting buttercream is mottled and looks terrible.  Brushing cocoa on it and/orshortening does not help.  I hope someone has a solution!

Thanks for being here.

Mottled Chocolate Buttercream ! Solutions?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 8

idk -- chocolate can be so moody! was this made from melted chocolate? I mean obviously it doesn't matter now but for me -- when it's made from ganache or melted chocolate, if you don't jacket your mixer with hot water it can all go streaky -- I don't know if doing that will help with your recipe but that's all I can think of --

WalkersNC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WalkersNC Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 11:43pm
post #3 of 8

Would you explain what "jacket your mixer with hot water" means?  It turned out ok after I added the decorations and glitter.  Glitter hides a lot!

I'd like to do better next time.  Thank you!

-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 8

is your recipe with melted chocolate or cocoa or both?

I actually have a little video -- let's see if I can post it...

-K8memphis Posted 17 Apr 2021 , 12:20am
post #5 of 8

ok, never mind the video — it’s on my phone and not in one of the compatible formats —

so you get a bowl or pot to fit under your mixer bowl, put hot water in the bowl to keep your mixer bowl and contents warm and it keeps  the choco behaving while you mix it — the icing seems to get a little loose but when it cools off it thickens up

using cocoa I never had a problem with streaks or anything — only if I used whipped choco icing made with ganache — 

ReginaCoeliB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReginaCoeliB Posted 21 Apr 2021 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 8

bump

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 27 Apr 2021 , 6:43pm
post #7 of 8

don’t sweat it, when making chocolate icing like that add about one  teaspoon of honey to it.  your chocolate just seized a little, NO MATTER HOW BAD YOUR CHOCOLATE SIEZES HONEY WILL UN SIEZE IT EVERY TIME. you may have to adjust honey, just eye it, depending on how much chocolate you are making at once. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Apr 2021 , 2:17am
post #8 of 8

What a great tip, tesso!  Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%