Alternating Wet/dry Ingredients

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 19 Apr 2021 , 1:06pm by kakeladi

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 2:39am
post #1 of 8

Just wondering what the rest of you do and if you think it makes any difference. I've always added my flour/ dry mixture in 4 batches and my wet ingredients in 3 batches. I'm wondering if I would get the same results doing a 3 dry and 2 wet  additions. I always begin and end with dry. 

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 2:57am
post #2 of 8

I usually do the same as you, four and three, but have occasionally done three and two and it was exactly the same.  I also begin and end with dry ingredients.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 8

I do three and two but have also just tossed it all in -- no worries blush

-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 8

but a lot of people don't give it a good two minute spin after all is in so there's that too --

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 3:14pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks all. Can you tell me what does the 2 minute mix after everything is added do to the batter? Most recipes say only mix till everything is incorporated...if it improves batter somehow, I'm all in....

-K8memphis Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 8

Its just how I make cake batter so it is well combined -- works for me --

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 16 Apr 2021 , 11:12pm
post #7 of 8

I always beat my butter/oil, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy, then add my dry flour mixture alternating with other liquid...milk, whatever. Then beat at medium speed for 2-3 minutes, stopping to scrape bottom of the bowl. I let my filled pans sit on the counter until my oven reaches temperature. Seems after batter sits for 15-20 minutes I get a better rise. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2021 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 8

I use the WASC recipe exclusively [of course!:) ]  Always put most wet ingredients in bottom of bowl before adding the dry ingredients (sometimes mix together well - sometimes not) then add any remaining wet ingredients & mix for 2 minutes that I actually use a timer for!  Depending on how the mixing looks I might stop to scrape the bowl sometimes.  

As for actual baking I can only bake 1pan at a time — the largest that would fit is 12” but I only have 9” round & 9x12.   Sooo many times some  batter sits in pan up to 45 minutes while Waiting it’s turn as some is baking :)  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%